Monday, October 21, 2019

Pumpkin Pie: the Basic Recipe

Jan here, giving all of you a head's up: Pumpkin Pie is too easy to resort to buying pre-baked pies from the grocery store!



Okay, I understand no time to bake. I understand last-minute changes of plans. I even understand feeling those heebie-jeebies about getting the pie crust right.

But this year I'm encouraging you to try this basic recipe. You have enough time to make it two or three times before Thanksgiving...and then won't you be the star of the gathering? Think about it - the children's eyes wide as they regard that beautiful pie - your husband's (or wife's) beaming face - your mother-in-law!!!

YES! You can do this!

Easy-Peasy-Lemon-Squeezy.

Start with the crust:

You can go here for my Never-Fail Pie Crust recipe and step-by-step instructions.

Or you can go here for Ruthy's favorite pie crust - also with step-by-step instructions.

Or, if you have to, buy the frozen pie crust from the store. But it's worth taking the time and effort to learn how to make a good pie crust!

Next is the filling:

Believe me, this is the easiest part of all. I use the recipe on the back of the Libby's Pumpkin can. Not the "Pumpkin Pie Filling" can. The pumpkin puree in the smaller can.

I did a step-by-step tutorial on pumpkin pie here.



See how easy it is? 

So, you have no excuse, do you?

And think how much your family will enjoy those practice pies as you get ready for the big day!

Let us know - Have you ever made pie from scratch? If you haven't, are you willing to try?



Jan Drexler spent her childhood dreaming of living in the Wild West and is now thrilled to call the Black Hills of South Dakota her home. When she isn’t writing she spends much of her time satisfying her cross-stitch addiction or hiking and enjoying the Black Hills with her husband of more than thirty-seven years.




13 comments:

  1. I am totally the minority in this season of everything pumpkin. I do love pumpkin muffins, but I'll take key lime over pumpkin any day. One of these days I may summon the courage to try. When I ever have a functioning kitchen again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe your new kitchen will be so nice that you won't be able to resist baking! I know you're looking forward to being normal again. :-)

      Delete
  2. I love pumpkin pie! It's one of my favorites... and I guess I actually love any custard pie, it's delicious!

    That Libby's solid pack pumpkin recipe is wonderful... I adjust it slightly to ditch the ginger, and I replace the ginger with nutmeg... and I add an extra egg, so three eggs instead of two. But that's my taste/texture preference, and I wouldn't refuse a slice of either!!! Ever! :)

    And mastering pie crust is a cool thing, and not nearly as hard as folks think. Like you said, it's just practice... and sampling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan, I agree!! This is so simple to make! I also use the back of the Libby's pumpkin can (smaller, pure pumpkin can). I just usually buy the Pillsbury rollup crusts in the refrigerator section. But I really should try making my own. It's been quite a while since I've done that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Libby's recipe is the best. I would be tempted to try Ruthy's alterations, but I'm afraid my family would revolt!

      Yes, you should try making your own pie crust. It won't be perfect the first time, but you've mastered some pretty awesome cooking skills in the classes you take, so this should be easy!

      Delete
    2. I agree with Jan... look how beautifully done those chocolates were! You've got an artist's touch with so many things, Missy.

      Delete
  4. Pie is my very favorite dessert! Love pumpkin, love sweet potato, love pecan, love buttermilk (I think buttermilk pie is my absolute favorite but the others are all tied for second place!) I am a big chicken about pie crust and usually buy pre-made from the refrigerator case, but maybe this holiday season I'll muster up enough courage to take a shot at a homemade one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all about pie, too! Pumpkin, custard, cherry, apple, pecan, sweet cream, chocolate... I think I'm talking myself into a pie coma!

      Delete
  5. I'm a rebel and like my pie without the crust. Besides apple, berry, or peach. A thin crust with those is ok. I'm interested in this buttermilk pie I see being talked about! Of course a little pumpkin pie with my whip cream is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, I'd like a recipe for buttermilk pie, too. Ever since Lisa Wingate talked about it in her Texas Cooking series SO LONG AGO, I've wanted to try buttermilk pie!!!!

      Delete