Thursday, October 10, 2019

Pork Chop and Stuffing Bake

I love one-dish meals. They make me happy.

This isn't really a one dish meal unless you make it in the frying pan you sear the chops in... then it's one-dish!

If you transfer to a 13 x 9 pan, then it's two dishes!!!! Silly you!

For this recipe you need 6 boneless 1" pork chops

2 boxes Stovetop stuffing (I used chicken)

1 1/2 cups Gravy (homemade or canned)

Heat a small amount of olive oil in a large frying pan or griddle. Sear pork chops on both sides. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange in the big frying pan OR in a 13 x 9 pan sprayed lightly with cooking spray.



Pour gravy over pork chops.



Prepare stuffing mix as directed.  Drop stuffing by spoons full over the chops.

Then, to make the stuffing take on the "pork" taste, I added a little bit of water (about 1/3 cup) to the drippings in the porch chop pan... stirred things up... and drizzled that over the stuffing before I baked the meat/stuffing combo. It was the perfect disguise!!!

Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes (or a little more). Serve with a veggie.

And I forgot to take a picture when it was done because it was going to a family who needed supper... My bad!

This was the perfect dish to do some homemade applesauce!

Take about 12 cooking apples (they don't know if they're cooking apples, so use whatever you have.) Peel... plot a new book while you peel because it takes a few minutes...

Remove seed cavity.

Put into saucepan with about 2/3 cup water. Heat over medium heat until apples are puffy and soft. Mash. Add about 3/4 cup sugar and two teaspoons of cinnamon.

Stir.

DECADENT.

The farm is keeping us hopping for about 2-3 more weeks... and then I can breathe again. But in the meantime I love that we're meeting new customers every day, that folks are having fun, and that they love coming to see us.

That's the best!

And Farmer Dave stole ALL of my colorful pumpkins from the porches, so I had to re-do my displays with orange, orange and more orange... but he's right it was time to sell them to happy customers.

SOB.... ;)

On the writing front, I turned in my first mystery for Savannah Secrets (Guideposts, 2020!!!) and I'm finishing my Christmas 2020 Love Inspired.... and I can't believe how absolutely blessed I am.

God is good.

You can find Ruthy in the kitchen or the pumpkins or online at ruthloganherne.com, www.seekerville.blogspot.com, here at the cafe on Thursdays (unless she messes up) and you can email her at loganherne@gmail.com. An author of over 50 books with more to come, Ruthy is living her dream of being a published author and a well-respected farm owner.

In her spare time. :)

And this pic is five years old.... So I should probably update it!!!! But gosh, I love the scarf/jacket combo!


10 comments:

  1. Ruthy, I see you've converted to your winter headshot. This dish sounds yummy and so simple. Bummer on the pumpkins, though. Then again, you raised them knowing they were going to go to loving homes, so it's time to let go. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahah! That is so true! And I pulled some old scarecrows out of a closet to fancy up the front porch, so I'm happy again! And how could we not love pork chops and stuffing with homemade applesauce?

      To die for...

      Delete
  2. This dish says "comfort food" all over the place!

    And it sounds doubly wonderful today - we're having our first snow. About five inches so far, on top of frozen slush. We're staying home and finally getting to the unpacking from our move!

    The pumpkins are better off in a good home, dear Ruthy. It is their destiny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Jan, I saw the forecast and wondered if it was hitting you! October snow is always a bit of a slap upside the head. When it hits here, it creates a domino effect because the big maple leaves and some others don't drop along the Great Lakes area until late October... so a heavy wet snow makes the trees break from the weight because the snow catches on the leaves... and then power outages and snarled roads. Buffalo's lake effect can cause epic problems along I-90 because 90 runs along the edge of Lake Erie, then toward Rochester.... but the lake effect comes off in blizzard-like conditions and shuts down the interstate at times.

      I'm so glad you're able to get to the boxes... and that your book is in. So proud of you, Jan. You've had a summer to remember in so many ways, and you stood tall, like always. Well done.

      Delete
  3. I have made a chicken version of this! With trying new meal planning and having a bunch of pork chops this is going on the menu with a side of green beans! Mmmm Ruthy being closer I actually googled how far it would be to your farm! Hehe one day we will come visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always welcome here! Wouldn't that be fun???? And I would try to not be annoying! Or bossy.

      #fail

      :)

      Delete
  4. I'll skipt the pork chops but take two helpings of the applesauce. I adore homemade applesauce! Just think of how happy those pumpkins are going to be as jack'o'lanterns in a couple of weeks! It's there time to shine! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! And this way we don't disappoint customers by tempting them with something we no longer have... but we can make the "small" stacks of pumpkins... But the big flattish pumpkins have all gone to new homes which is (as the lot o' youse pointed out) their destiny!!!!

      Delete
  5. Looks so good! There isn't much I like more than dressing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy.... I love dressing/stuffing, too. And gravy. And mashed potatoes.

      I love food.

      Delete