Tuesday, October 22, 2019

King Ranch Casserole Macaroni and Cheese Mash-up

Y'all, King Ranch Casserole has been a long time favorite of mine. And macaroni and cheese is more than a just favorite, it's a staple. But what happens when you combine the two? You end up with one of the most amazing dishes ever.
Here's what you'll need:
  • 8 oz elbow macaroni (the boxes are usually 16 oz, so half a box)
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 green bell pepper, diced (optional)
  • 1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes and green chilies (aka Rotel)
  • 1 - 8 oz pkg. pasteurized prepared cheese product, cubed (aka Velveeta)
  • 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cook pasta according to the package directions. 

Meanwhile, melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper, and saute 5 minutes or until tender.
 Stir in your tomatoes and green chilies and Velveeta.
And cook, stirring constantly, until the cheese melts.
Now, stir in your chicken, the soup, sour cream, chili powder, and cumin.
Obviously, I need to keep stirring.
 
Then we'll add in our pasta and stir until blended.
This is smelling SOOOO yummy.
 
Spoon mixture into a lightly greased oblong baking dish or cast iron skillet and sprinkle with shredded cheese.
Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, or until bubbly.
And serve.
There you have it, two favorites in one dish. I call that the ultimate comfort food. And we needed some comforting this week as we said goodbye to our beloved Golden Retriever, Dixie. 
I'll never forget the first time I saw her, just hours after she was born. One of thirteen puppies. Over the following weeks, we watched the puppies grow and saw their personalities emerge. Five weeks after she was born in our neighbor's closet, sweet Dixie came to live with us. 
She loved our family unconditionally and she's left a big hole in our hearts. Rest in peace, Dixie. Or better yet, tree those squirrels I know you're chasing in heaven. 


Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she's not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more a mindyobenhaus.com.


13 comments:

  1. Awwww, Mindy. I'm so sorry about Dixie. I saw that puppy picture when you posted it on FB, and it melted my heart. But thinking of the hole left behind breaks my heart. Fenway sends his love too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate, I've always loved that puppy picture. There's another I took at the same time when I came outside and found her sitting on a planter pot. She was so cute. Tell Fenway I said thank you. And be sure to give him an extra hug.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I'm so sorry about Dixie, Mindy.... such a good old girl. And that's the hard reality about pets, generally we outlive them... what a beauty! Thank you for posting this remembrance of her here. You know we're all dog people... and we share your sorrow.

    And this mash-up looks marvelous. Comfort food, cheesy goodness, all that fun stuff... I love it.

    And with the cooler weather at hand, this could be Mindy for the Win!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, I'm sure your cooler weather is different than ours, but I'm just excited that our forecast doesn't have any 90 degree temps in it. We do have the potential for some lows in the 40s, though, so that would be cool (pun intended).

      Yes, it's sad that our pets don't live longer. We know that going in, though. We still have Maddie. And while she keeps looking for Dixie, she seems to be taking things in stride. Then again, she's always been an attention hog.

      Delete
  3. You've inspired me to make mac and cheese for dinner tonight -- sans chicken -- it's cool and rainy so perfect mac and cheese day.

    So sorry about Dixie. The heartbreaking reality of loving a dog is having to let them go all too soon. That puppy pic is adorable. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for mac and cheese for dinner, Kav! One can never go wrong there. Appreciate the hugs.

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye to Dixie. No matter how long our pets live, it always seems like that final day comes all too soon.

    And this casserole has become one of my favorites to take to carry-in dinners. I think you shared it way back in the early days of the Cafe, and it deserves a spot in the limelight again. So-o-o cheesy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Jan. Both on that final day coming too soon and me sharing this recipe before. It's been a few years, it's been a few years, but after having it for dinner the other night, I knew it was time to share it again.

      Delete
  5. Mindy, I'm sorry about Dixie. They truly do leave a doggie-shaped hole in our hearts and in our family when they pass on. I hope Maddie is doing okay. Sometimes it's almost harder to watch our other furry family members grieve.

    Thanks for sharing this wonderful casserole. I'll definitely give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, it helps that Maddie is somewhat self-absorbed. Even though she does look around for Dixie. Maddie is all about playing ball and going on the next Polaris ride. Which is fine by me. If she was moping, I'd feel even worse.

      Delete
    2. Mindy, I'm glad she's doing okay!

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry about sweet Dixie, Mindy. Such a faithful friend is a huge blessing--and such a loss. I love this recipe, and I already know it would be a big hit with my crew!! Gonna give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, you'll have to let me know if you make this and what you family thinks about it.

      Delete