Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Welcome Guest Chef Dana R. Lynn


Look who is taking over the cafe today! Welcome Dana R. Lynn.

Memories and Peanut Butter

Hi all! Dana R. Lynn here. Thank you, Cate Nolan for the invitation to be here. I am so happy that I could join you on this lovely autumn day.  This is my favorite of all seasons, so I’m pretty pumped. Plus, I just started a new job three weeks ago, and I love it. Seriously. For the first time in twenty years, I have my own classroom, instead of being an itinerant (or traveling) teacher, and it is so much fun!

This year has been a year of change for my family. My daughter has temporarily left to take an internship, my older son has graduated and is now working full time as an electrician, and my youngest son is getting ready to begin driving and is starting to explore college options. It can be nerve-wracking, but I know God has a plan, so it’s all good.

I am sorry to inform you that my propane oven ran out of propane, so I was unable to bake and provide you with pictures. Sorry.

Two years ago, Hurricane Irma hit Florida. To avoid the storm, my mom drove to stay with my brother, and I went to visit them. We spent a day in Shipshewana, Indiana, exploring the Amish stores, going for a buggy ride, and eating Amish cuisine. It was a great time. My mother, knowing that I was writing suspense with an Amish twist, purchased this book for me:



 The title is “The Amish Cook’s Anniversary Book.”
This is more than a cookbook. It’s a series of articles and a wealth of research. It’s a great addition to my library. But more than that, it’s a tangible reminder of the joy and fun-filled time I spent with my family.

While we were in Shipshewana, I was introduced to Amish Peanut Butter. Don’t let the name fool you. It’s like peanut butter fudge in a jar. My mom and I hunted down a recipe.
Here’s the recipe we used:
AMISH PEANUT BUTTER
1 cup light corn syrup
½ cup creamy peanut butter
¼ cup marshmallow crème or fluff
Mix everything together and store it in a closed container in the refrigerator.

Speaking of memories, this month my 10th Love Inspired Suspense, Hidden in Amish Country, released. In this book, my heroine is in an accident and has amnesia. She’s on the run from a killer, without any memories of why. She must rely on an Amish widower with an adorable son to help her.




Thanks for letting me hang out today!

16 comments:

  1. Hi, Dana! Yay for getting your own classroom this year! I was a "floating" teacher when I started out, and when I got my own classroom it was such a joy. I've heard of this recipe before, but I've never tried it! Sounds like something my kids would love, though, so it might be fun to mix up a batch and see what it's like! Thanks for sharing it, and big congrats on your new book!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, we have to have you come back and share your recipe for buttermilk pie.

      Delete
    2. Hi Laurel. Yes, I agree being in a classroom is a joy.

      This recipe is super easy and yummy. Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. Dana! Welcome to the cafe! It's super nice to have you over here, pretty lady... and congrats on the teaching assignment.

    And this peanut butter fluff sounds awesome. I can see adding it to frosting or as a cake filler... Imagine a dark chocolate cake with this filling and dark chocolate frosting.... I'm so hungry right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Dana. (waving frantically from Texas) I recently finished reading Hidden in Amish Country and I LOVED it! Wonderful characters, excellent story, a cute kid... Oh, but there was that bad guy. Still, it was awesome. Marshmallow cream. Dana, if you hadn't had me at peanut butter, you certainly had me at marshmallow cream. And I'm a bit of a peanut butter junky, so this could be dangerous. I do have a question, though. Is the peanut butter the Amish use more like a natural peanut butter as opposed to, say, Jif? Because that would certainly cut down on some of the sugar.

    Now about this Amish peanut butter. Let's look at the ingredients, shall we? Peanut butter. Yum. Corn syrup. A derivative of sugar, so nuf said there. And

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. 'm not sure about the traditional recipe, but when I checked online, the recipe I found called for Peter Pan.

      Delete
    3. Mindy! My ACFW buddy... I'm so happy you enjoyed the book. About this recipe, the answer I got was that it was not used so much as a sandwich spread but more as a dessert topping.

      Delete
  4. Dana, welcome!! So glad to have you here today!

    Wow. If this is called peanut butter, I wonder what they actually call fudge?? haha I wonder if they make sandwiches out of this? Or if they eat it as dessert but just call it peanut butter?? Inquiring minds want to know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a suggestion of dipping apple slices in it.

      Delete
    2. Agreed! But it is delicious over ice cream.

      Delete
  5. Hi! My favorite part of visiting Indiana is going to Amish country! We live closer now so that means hopefully we can go at least once a year. This sounds really good if I liked fudge! It's hit or miss for me, but I might be willing to try this as a sweet sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, I remembered visiting Amish country with my family when I was young. It obviously left a vivid impression since I remember it all these years later.

      Delete
    2. Katie, I know what you mean about fudge. I was spoiled by my mom's peanut butter fudge. Most recipes aren't strong enough for me. And I don't really care for any other flavors, even though I normally enjoy chocolate. But I thought this recipe was tasty.

      Delete