Wednesday, October 2, 2019

90 degrees and Mashed Potatoes

Mindy took us on a trip to colder temps yesterday, and I really appreciated it. It has been ridiculously hot here and the 2nd day of October is predicted to hit the 90s.

When I posted this on Facebook 3 years ago, I'm sure I wasn't thinking of 90 degree weather.






Image may contain: tree, sky, plant, outdoor and nature


Image may contain: tree, sky, plant, outdoor and nature
So, when you come home from school after teaching in these kinds of temps (with NO AC), the last thing you want to do is cook over a hot stove.

I've been craving mashed potatoes.

But the thought of steaming up the kitchen wasn't so good.

Then I saw these on the supermarket shelf.




Bob's Red Mill Potato Flakes.

Nothing but pure dehydrated potato flakes. (No nasty sulfites!)

In literally as long as it takes to boil water, you can have fluffy mashed potatoes. I can certainly stand the heat on long enough to boil water!

Loaded with plenty of butter, these were delicious. Add my leftover honey mustard chicken, and I was one exhausted - but happy - teacher who could then go eat a hearty dinner in the AC!


The package comes with some soup recipes, so I'm excited for the weather to cool off so I can make creamy potato soups.

So, have I discredited myself as a Yankee Belle with this shortcut or do you too have fond childhood memories of potatoes from a box?

12 comments:

  1. I normally do not like instant potatoes, but that being said I have been fooled a time or two! I think they need to be the right ones. These flakes look like they might pass the test. It was always a flavor thing. Maybe it's the chemical in the real cheap ones. We are still fighting the hot temps too. With humidity added to that. I used the oven the other day and thought I was going to pass out from the kitchen being so hot. My instant pots have gotten a good workout lately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, I made a simple dinner (using a rotisserie chicken!) yesterday and was sweating like crazy when we finally ate. I was miserable and had to turn the air conditioner lower. Of course, I had unloaded groceries from the car right before cooking, so that was probably the culprit.

      Delete
    2. Missy I try to go shopping when Jacob is home. Hehe usually he unloads most of the groceries. At least the heavy stuff. It was finally cool enough tonight to turn the AC off and to fan mode.

      Delete
    3. Katie, I often try to time it so I have help. :) In fact, yesterday, I arrived home right after my husband got home from work. So I was burning hot even though I had him helping me!

      Delete
    4. There definitely was no chemical taste to these, Katie. I usually don't like the boxed because of all the preservatives. I decided to try these when I saw they were 100% dehydrated potatoes.

      Delete
  2. Blech to potatoes in a box but I am intrigued by the idea of potato soup. Since I don't have a food processor making cream soups is out for me but using an instant potato mix might be the answer for a creamy potato soup. I was uber excited to see the Bob's Red Mill brand because we actually have those products here! I always buy their spelt flour and I'm nearly out and forgot about that until I read this post so thank you for reminding me to pick up spelt flour on my shopping trek today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, I love Bob's Red Mill items!! We have them at our grocery stores.

      Delete
    2. Our store has a whole wall full of their stuff. It's all so intriguing. My daughter uses Teff, but I've never tried it.

      Delete
  3. Mary Cate, I love this! I'll have to try this brand. I grew up on instant potatoes (except for at Thanksgiving and Christmas when we'd get the real thing). :) But I bet these are so much better than the ones I had as a child. Thanks for sharing!

    BTW, we set a record today for the hottest day ever in Georgia in October at 96 degrees. But we're supposed to break the record tomorrow with 97 or 98 degrees.

    Crazy weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was such a silly kid, Missy. I loved the boxed ones better than the fresh! Of course mom used margarine and I always use real butter.

      Delete
  4. Mary Cate, I might have to see if I can find those for my son. They've got to be better than the regular package variety he usually buys. And I'm like you, ready for soup weather. We're dropping down into the low 80s next week. In Texas, that actually counts as soup weather. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hit high 50s today, and it was delightful! Much better than yesterday's 94! Hope you get cool air soon.

      Delete