Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Halloween Brooklyn Style




 It's that time of year again, the time my neighborhood starts pulling out all the stops and decorating for Halloween. I found some new ones to share with you this year.

Some houses have pretty fall decorations.



Others go for the spooky.




Ooops - random finger.


Can't beat mother nature.


The ghost is back. You can't really tell from the photo, but he's about 12 feet tall.





This one comes from the neighborhood near where I work.

It's very elaborate.


A Halloween "Christmas" tree?






It's interesting to me to see how things change. IN some ways, Halloween is an easy way to track changes in the neighborhood. Places that used to go whole hog, now have nothing, but homes that were previously undecorated, now go all out. 

This building by my school used to have elaborate decorations for every season. They actually had a company that would come and do the decorations for each season. The new owners have not kept up the tradition.



And, despite it being Halloween, the Christmas lights have already gone up along one block!




Do you decorate for Halloween?

5 comments:

  1. Oh, what a fun glimpse of the neighborhood, Cate! I love this! We're in the country so it's more spread out and I remember that neighborhood feel when I was raised in the city... and it's funny how small those houses and yards seem now when I go back. Perspective is an amazing thing, isn't it???

    And you're so right, you can watch time go by as neighborhoods evolve. We have so many of those changes in our towns as older folks go south or pass away... and more and more over-55 neighborhoods being developed.

    That's such a funny thing to me... the separation of age groups. My writer's head doesn't think that's a good thing because it's one more level of segregation, but (SHOCKER!!!) no one asked me! :)

    But you know I'm going to write about it, LOL!

    Thank you for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your decorations! We are the borings that just put a hanger on the door. However I'm ready for the kiddos! Provided they don't get scared away by the snow they are talking about! What a mean trick mother nature has planned. She just couldn't wait a couple days. If these kids are true Midwesterners they will bundle up as puffy versions of their costumes and go out anyways hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cate, you live in the perfect neighborhood for Halloween decorating! There's just something about the older houses that makes those decorations more special than in a neighborhood that was a corn field less than a dozen years ago.

    And no, we don't decorate for Halloween. Autumn, yes. Thanksgiving? Definitely. But we're still expecting trick-or-treaters. We have four or five children in our new neighborhood. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love getting these glimpses into life in Brooklyn, Mary Cate. And no matter where people live, they like to decorate. Love nature's decorations the best, though. And Christmas decorations are going up at many malls and other retail places. I think they like to have them up before November 1 to encourage people to shop for Christmas. I don't mind. I love me some Christmas decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Cate, it's so fun to see these photos! I'm always fascinated by city dwellings. Thanks for sharing!

    We're actually getting some fall color here now!

    ReplyDelete