Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Winter Storm Warning!

I can't believe it. While we're sweltering here in Texas and the calendar still said September, the northern Rockies were hit with a major winter storm. What I wouldn't give for a little taste of that. So I decided to go back into the Yankee-Belle archives again and take us on a trip down memory lane, back to the ice storm that shut down a good bit of north Texas in December of 2013.

You ever have one of those weeks? Well, that was me this past week. First, I was trying to catch up after Thanksgiving, then BAM! North Texas is hit with a major ice storm. Stuff like that just totally messes with my head. Not in a bad way, mind you, just has me shifting gears.

So this was the scene when we awoke Friday morning. Nothing compared to Jan's blizzard, I know. Looks kind of peaceful, doesn't it? Like a nice dusting of snow. Except this is layers and layers of sleet and freezing rain. It wasn't fluffy. It was crunchy. And the driveway (note that it's sloped)? Two-three inches of solid ice. Nobody was going anywhere.
Now you folks who live up north may think this is nothing, but Texas is not equipped to handled stuff like this. They have sanding trucks (which finally made it down our street Sunday morning), but that's about it. Schools were closed. Highways were shut down. Over 270,000 people lost electricity. DFW Airport was at a standstill, trapping thousands of weary travelers. In a word, it was a MESS.

But a pretty mess. One that had me opting to stay inside.
A cold winter's day deserves a nice hot breakfast. Something besides the usual oatmeal. So I decided to make eggs, biscuits, and bacon. Now my biscuits aren't the gorgeous fluffy variety that Jan shared with us here, but they're easy and very yummy. My daughters' great-grandmother taught me how to make these when I was but a young bride.

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.

You'll need only 3 ingredients:
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 2-3 cups self rising flour, plus more for dusting
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil, plus more for pan
Yep, that's it. Like I said, easy. :)

Now, I like to dirty as few dishes as possible, so I measure my buttermilk into a large measuring cup that will double as my mixing bowl.
Add the oil and two cups of flour. 

Stir to mix. If it's too sticky, add more flour a spoonful at a time. You want it to hold together without being sticky.
Dump onto a floured surface and knead gently. Fold and push. Fold and push until elastic, but not sticky.
Prepare your pan (whatever pan you like. I usually use a round cake pan, but sometimes I'll use a cast iron skillet) by coating the bottom with a couple tablespoons of oil or butter. I usually use oil, but butter works just as well.

At this point, you can roll it to about a half-inch thickness and cut your biscuits, however, Greatmom taught me to "pinch" off the biscuits like she did. Simply grab a biscuit-sized blob between your thumb and forefinger and "pinch" it off.
Now shape it a bit with your hands. I usually roll it in my palms a time or two, then flatten it a bit.
Coat each side of the biscuit with the oil in the pan and settle in pan.

Repeat the process until your dough is gone and your pan is full.
Bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until tops are golden brown.

Clean up mess and stare at the beauty outside the kitchen window. That is until one of the dogs barks, ordering you to let her outside. Just because she has a fur coat... Sheesh! And she would much rather drink her water al fresco than out of the bowl inside. However...
Imagine her reaction when she saw her water bucket.
 After pacing for a while, she gave up and decided to eat the sleet.

The warmth from the oven, not to mention the timer, draws me back inside. Perfect!
Now that's my kind of breakfast. One that's usually reserved for the ranch. But hey, it's not like we're ice-bound every day. This is an event, right? And an event like this calls for a hearty breakfast.
Well, things look a little different outside on this first day of October 2019. It's hot, it's dry, and I'm still sporting shorts, a t-shirt and sandals. But that doesn't mean I can't hope. Something I'm sure is lost on all of you who live up north. Because while I'm sweating, you're probably wondering how long before Jack Frost comes to visit you.

So, were you caught by this weekend's snow storm or are you reveling in fall's glorious color? And what's your favorite breakfast when you're snowed in?


Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she's not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more a mindyobenhaus.com.


8 comments:

  1. We had almost 90 degrees for the last day of September. So glad they aren't talking snow here yet. If they are I'm not going to listen! IL feels the same at SD at times, but yet so different. However it's never too hot for a good biscuit! I'm not sure what I like on a snow day.... anything hot I guess. Biscuits and gravy are always a go to for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, I was just talking to someone the other day about biscuits and gravy for breakfast. I love biscuits with a good sausage gravy, but I've never made it. Probably because when I was growing up, biscuits and gravy were part of Thanksgiving dinner. Mom would make Bisquick biscuits and then we'd ladle giblet gravy over the top. So the first time I saw biscuits and gravy on a breakfast menu, I was perplexed. I sure do love them, though.

      Delete
  2. Ice storms are nothing to take lightly! I remember that storm, just after our blizzard hit. And we all know it takes a major storm to shut down DFW!

    I'm sorry you and Katie are both sweltering. I was on a Facebook party last night and the people there were either hot or cold - I could have drawn the line of the jet stream just from their comments!

    And your biscuits look so good. Yes, different than my usual recipe, but delicious all the same. I had eggs and bacon for breakfast this morning, but now I'm missing a biscuit...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I saw on the weather last night that we might actually be getting a cold front next week. Well, maybe not cold, but if it lives up to the predictions, we'll have highs in the low 80s and lows in the upper 50s. Now that's a forecast I can't wait for.

      Delete
  3. I think biscuits are a very American thing...not something typical even in restaurants here. Maybe it's different out west but in my neck of the woods not so much. I should try making these biscuits to see what all the fuss is about because I read about them all the time!

    We've had such wonky weather -- record end of September heatwave in Ontario and 3 ft of snow out west! Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, do y'all have something akin to biscuits? Like a soda bread or scones? And yes, the weather is crazy. I just know I'm ready for it to feel like fall.

      Delete
  4. Still ridiculously hot here, so I'm enjoying your ice/snow photos!

    ReplyDelete