Monday, October 7, 2019

Super Lunchtime Salads

Jan here. It may be sunny outside, but I'm in the middle of a post-deadline-fog.

Yes, I turned in the book I was working on - the third story in The Amish of Weaver's Creek! And yes, we'll celebrate!

But let my brain start working on a 2019 timeline again before we do that...I've been living in 1865 for months!

As part of my efforts to get my thinking back into the right gear, I bought the ingredients that I needed for these Super Salads on my last grocery trip. After a summer like we had - no kitchen, no pantry, living on fast foods and convenience foods - I'm ready to get back to healthy eating!

So today I'm sharing a post from a few years back. I had just discovered this salad idea and had to share it with you! So chop your lettuce, get out your favorite salad bowl, and dig in!

* * * * * * *

Super Lunchtime Salads: not just for summer!

In the Black Hills of South Dakota, we're firmly in the middle of golden October days.




The bison are in their prime, ready to impress the ladies. It is mating season, after all!

And the leaves are gorgeous golden yellow!


So we might think it's time for warm stews and fresh bread, right?

Not for my lunches! I still enjoy a salad a couple times a week, even on the cold and blustery days.

So why do I call this a "Super Salad"? Because of all the nutritious goodness that gets packed in the bowl.

Super Lunch Time Salads

Oh, did I mention that this is easy-peasy? Perfect for a quick grab from the fridge on a busy day?

Start with a bowl of lettuce.



I keep a big bowl of torn romaine and iceberg lettuce in the fridge - it's quick and easy to fill my salad bowl with a bunch.

Then add whatever veggies you have. I added some diced cucumber and a bit of sliced onion.

Next, add protein and healthy fats.


On this day I had some leftover roast beef, and I cut up a small avocado. Yum! On other days I might open a can of tuna, or use some leftover chicken, or a quartered boiled egg.

I usually add a sprinkle of these hulled hemp seeds:


They are nutritious and add a nutty crunchy flavor to the salad.

But to make the salad super nutritious, I add this:


That stuff in the mason jar is wonderful. I got the idea from the Trim Healthy Mama cookbook, but used ingredients I had on hand.

1 cup nutritional yeast (NOT baking yeast)
1 cup Parmesan cheese (the powdery kind, in the green can)
2 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoon basil
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 Tablespoons dry parsley flakes

Mix all of these together (I put them in a one quart mason jar and shake), and keep it in the refrigerator.

Sprinkle it on salads, eggs, soups...whatever you want.

I use just over a teaspoon on my salad.

And add whatever dressing you want to use. Ranch goes well with the beef and avocado!


That's it! All you have to do is toss it around a bit and munch down!

And on those really cold days? I add a cup of steaming hot beef or chicken broth to my lunch.

Do you eat salads in the fall and winter?





Jan Drexler loves her family, her home, cooking and just about anything made by hand. But she loves her Lord most of all.

Stop by Jan's website to learn more about her books: www.JanDrexler.com


6 comments:

  1. Well after I totally blew past my last Thursday post... and survived the busiest farm weekend of the year... I'm breathing again, too! Congrats on your deadline quest, my friend! I am so proud of you!

    And huge apologies for being off the grid last week and (SIGH) not even realizing it! That's a "DUH" moment, for sure.

    This salad looks marvelous, but I'm really over the moon with the bison! It took weeks for our Bison farmer in Central New York to tempt 100 roaming cows, calves and bulls back to their farm... and $5000 worth of tranquelizing meds... and the troublemaker bull is now slated for winter meals.

    But the majesty of such big animals, and the "order" in which they live is really inspirational.

    Thank you, Jan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your farm posts on Facebook - you had a celebrity visiting this weekend! I know you probably bribed "Belle" with books and cookies. :-)

      Between my deadline and hubby's work schedule, we haven't been to Custer State Park to see autumn in all its glory yet! But soon...soon...

      And those bison in Central New York were having a great time, weren't they? And old Papa Bison was probably saying "Follow me, little ones. I smell the prairies..."

      I heard last week that some privately owned bison escaped their range. The place they belong is in the middle of the Hills - remote and surrounded by National Forest. They may never return home!

      Delete
  2. Oh, look at the fall color on those trees. Maybe the few Chinese tallows around here will start to turn soon. One can hope.

    I'm ready for soup weather, Jan. Hearty stews, flavorful soups. It looks like you've had some soup weather recently. Feel free to send it my way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been hesitant to talk about our weather here, because it is absolutely gorgeous. And so many of our friends have been suffering that early fall heatwave! But yes, soup and stew weather. We're having chili tonight!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on completing the last book in your series, Jan! I hope Jack helped you celebrate with some goofy puppy frolicking. :-) I love salad year round as long as I can get fresh veggies that taste like veggies in the winter. My cold weather standby diner is homemade soup and salad. Followed closely by chili and salad. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kav!

      And seriously, Jack was no help at all as my deadline drew closer. He suddenly moved from the puppy stage of "sleep all day" to "play all day!" Add in cold weather and rain for most of last week, and I found myself playing on the floor with a cute puppy more than I had planned to.

      Actually, come to think of it, it was a lot of fun. :-) And I DID get my book in on time!

      Delete