Friday, October 11, 2019

Air "Frying" Okra

Missy Tippens

Today, I want to share a great way to make okra--for less time and with less calories.

A friend from church gave us a batch of fresh okra last week (Thanks, Bud!). I decided to cook it in the air fryer.

I'd tried sliced okra in the air fryer before and overcooked it. So this time I left the smaller ones whole and cut the larger ones in half or thirds. Then I sprayed them lightly with Pam (Olive Oil).


I cooked the okra on the shrimp setting! That was about 320 degrees for 8 minutes (I think). It was perfect.

We also cooked these in the air fryer to go along with the okra. They were very good!


Here's the finished okra with a sprinkle of Maldon salt.


Such a yummy dinner! While eating, my husband got close to his plate and, very surprised, said, "I don't see the breading!"

Nope. None needed. And he and my daughter both said the okra tasted like regular fried okra. So it was a big win!


www.missytippens.com

6 comments:

  1. I have to ask. What does okra taste like? I feel like I have had it before and didn't care for it. Maybe I should try it again. One day I'll get an air fryer when I have the kitchen of my dreams!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, it's more texture than taste. I love the crunch and the little seeds inside. I don't know how to describe it! Of course, some people think it's too slimy. But if you air fry or fry it, it doesn't get slimy. Only boiling it (although, I love it boiled, too!).

      Delete
  2. I love me some fried okra, Missy, but I'm more intrigued by those sweet potato puffs. I buy that same brand of sweet potato fries (love those), but have never seen the puffs. I'll have to look for them the next time I get to the "big" city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, they truly were puffs. They almost melted in our mouths! I think you'll like them. :)

      Delete
  3. Hmmm...I've never had okra...never seen it in the store either. Maybe it's a Southern thing? And I'm super scared of fryers though but those sweet potato puffs look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okra is definitely a southern thing. {{{shudder}}}

    But I've actually found a way that I can eat it - Trim Healthy Mama has a series of recipes for shakes with okra as an ingredient. I found that if I cook the okra first, then use a LOT of cocoa powder, the shakes aren't bad. I can't taste the okra. :-)

    Why eat it, then? Because it's supposed to have some unique health benefits. That "slime" really does help with digestive issues.

    But the air fryer...those sweet potato puffs make me want to look into one!

    ReplyDelete