Monday, October 28, 2019

Apple Cinnamon Muffin/Cake

What do you do when you've been given a bag full of apples?


Not perfect, straight from the grocery store apples, but windfall apples picked up in the neighborhood?

Hmm... Perfect for cooking!

I browsed through my cookbooks and found a few recipes that might work, and ended up with this one. It was yummy and just right for a snowy afternoon.

Apple Cinnamon Muffin/Cake
Makes one cake or two muffins - serves one

ingredients:

1/4 cup flour or 3 Tablespoons low-carb baking blend
2 - 3 Tablespoons old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 Tablespoon sugar or stevia-blend substitute (check equivalent measurements on the stevia package)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 pinch salt
1 egg
1 Teaspoon butter, softened

1 small apple, or 1/2 medium to large; cored, peeled, and diced



Preheat your oven to 350°.

Prepare 2 muffin cups or a small (4-cup) baking dish by spraying with non-stick spray.

Mix the ingredients - except apples - in a small bowl. Fold in the apple pieces, then put into prepared baking pan.

Sprinkle the top with more cinnamon, then bake in a 350° oven for 10-12 minutes for the muffins, or 15-18 minutes for the baking dish.


Let it cool for a few minutes, then enjoy it with a dollop of yogurt, whipped cream, or ice cream! Yes, yummy!

Meanwhile, we're settling into our new home. One of our new projects (like we needed a new project!) is this:


That is a buffet! (Yes, I know it's upside-down!)

It has drawers:


And a top:


After sitting in its former owner's garage for a couple months, we wanted to give it a good cleaning, inside and out. After we're done, we'll put it back together and it will take its place on one wall of our dining room. 

Solid wood and as heavy as...well...a tree! But did you see that wood grain? We are so thankful to have found this piece!

And the rest of the house is getting there. The library is in one corner of my office...


...and my desk is in the other.


As you can see, there are still boxes to be unpacked and things are a little messy, but it looks better than it did last week!

And we still love living in the Hills. The snow in the air lends enchantment to the view.


Have you had any snow where you are yet?






Jan Drexler spent her childhood dreaming of living in the Wild West and is now thrilled to call the Black Hills of South Dakota her home. When she isn’t writing she spends much of her time satisfying her cross-stitch addiction or hiking and enjoying the Black Hills with her husband of more than thirty-seven years.

8 comments:

  1. Jan, if we had snow on the coastal plains of Texas in October, everyone would know because it would have been a stop-the-presses moment. That said, we are finally enjoying some delightfully fall weather. The kind where you can actually open the windows and spend as much time outside as you like. And later this week, we might even dip down into the 30s at night. That'll have folks bundling up.

    I love that buffet. What a beautiful piece. And I'm glad you're getting settled. Settled is nice. And just in time for winter and the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Temperatures are relevant all around the country! It was 17° this morning when I took Jack out, so I wore my in-between coat. I save my winter coat for under 10° or when it's windy!

      I'll have to share a picture of that buffet when we get it back together and in place. It's a beauty!

      Delete
  2. Mmm cinnamon and apples! My favorites!! Your home seems to be coming together nicely--and that view! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how you'll get any writing done with that view!!!! Setting up house is so much fun! Little Jack won't know what to do when his world isn't all topsy turvy.

    That buffet is gorgeous -- the wood grain is a Mother Nature masterpiece. I'm impressed you even know how to put it back together. lol

    Love this paired down serving of apply cinnamony goodness. I'll have to try it. Nothing says a cold snap is coming like the hint of cinnamon coming from the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We finished cleaning and reassembling the buffet today (not too hard - a few screws here and there) and it looks beautiful! I'll share a picture next week!

      Delete
  4. I'm laughing that I totally copied you with apple cupcakes (although different) because I never got over here on Monday (SHAME!!!) and saw this.... but it's good that we're offering fun apple treats!!!!

    I love that library nook with the chair... oh, sweet repose.

    And you are doing amazing work! Yay you! I love the buffet, I love old oak pieces and old distressed pieces. They call to me.

    And now we can both have apple cake!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jan, I finally bought some THM baking mix, so I'll have to give these a try!!

    I love your piece of furniture. Love that grain!

    ReplyDelete