Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Apples and Pomegranates and Kitchen Destruction


I still do not have a functioning kitchen. Frustration simmers. Technically, they're done with the repairs, but they left such a mess behind, that I'll be cleaning plaster dust for the foreseeable future. 

Since the chicken marsala and tortellini last week, I've had brisket, pulled pork, eggplant parmegiana and pizza. It was all delicious, but I'm craving squash and apple desserts and all things autumn. So rather than just share boring photos of takeout, I'm resurrecting this delicious recipe from 4 years ago.

Apple Pomegranate Crumble

You know how in the story of Adam and Eve, tradition has it that Eve offered Adam a taste of an apple - the fruit of life?

I confess, I've often wondered how they're so sure it was an apple. In mythology, the pomegranate was the symbol of life And pomegranates have SO many health benefits. It just makes sense she gave him a pom. But I digress.

Years ago my daughter dressed as Persephone for a 2nd grade mythology project. I remember identifying with Demeter and thinking how awful it would be to lose your daughter to the underworld for half the year.

Which brings us to this dessert.

That same daughter[ (26 now) edited - she's 30 now] worked with me to make this recipe for Thanksgiving dessert.
I can't claim any credit for the recipe - just for having the good sense to pass it on to you.

You can find the entire recipe here - Autumn Apple and Pomegranate Crumble

I'm going to lead with the finished product to show you how delicious it looks (although you can just click that link and see Kate (with a K's) pictures.

This was ours -








The delicious topping kind of covers all the inside yumminess, so let me show you some of the ingredient steps.




Now I'm craving apples and pomegranates. Maybe when I have use of my kitchen again.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, yum, Mary Cate! And we all know how I feel about apples and crisps this time of year, so this is right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I confess to having you in mind when I chose this!

      Delete
  2. I still haven't tasted pomegranate...but this does tempt me! Hope you can sort out your kitchen soon. That's gotta be frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't tasted it until my daughter introduced me to it, but I love them now!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I love apple crisp, and I love to add other fruits but I never buy pomegranates, so shame on me!!!! This looks wonderful, Cate, but I'm so sorry about the kitchen. That's so annoying... and just another interruption in a busy life, but it's kind of NYC fun to see how you can get around these bumps in the road affordably, isn't it?

    Hoping that they finish things soon, Cate!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Affordability kind of went out the window with the first meal, but at least I only have to feed myself and Fenway. He doesn't get takeout. ;)

      Delete