Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Oatmeal Cookies - A Favorite Fallish Treat


Cookie anyone?

I don't know what it is about this time of year, but every October I find myself craving Oatmeal Cookies, or some variation thereof. Maybe oatmeal raisin or cranberry. Or how about just oatmeal pecan?

That's what happens when you start to make Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies and then discover that you're not only out of dried cranberries, but you're out of raisins as well. Still, it was those fall spices I was craving and what's not to like about pecans? Well, unless you have a nut allergy.

Here's what you'll need:

  • 1/4 cup regular shortening - *see note below
  • 1/2 cup butter flavor shortening
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 to 1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
  • 2 2/3 cups old fashioned oats
  • 3/4 cup dried berries/raisin blend (optional)
  • 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

In a large bowl, cream the shortening and sugars. *In the past, I have used a blend of butter and shortening because I prefer a softer cookie. However, unlike chocolate chip cookies, these still weren't soft enough, so that's why I went to all shortening. The flavor was off when I used just the butter flavor shortening, though, which I why I did a mix of the two. And the fact that I had the butter flavor on hand. Otherwise, I could just use the regular shortening and add a little bit of butter extract. If you like a crunchier cookies, though, then feel free to use all butter.* 


Beat in the eggs and vanilla.

In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves, then, with the mixer on low, lest we send a cloud of dust flying everywhere (experience talking), add flour mixture to shortening blend and mix well .

Now, with the mixer on low, add your oatmeal.


So about those nuts .

First, I like to see and taste the nuts in my cookies, so I coarsely chop them.


And pecans are always my nut of choice. That said, you are allowed to use whatever nuts you like and chop them as fine as you prefer.

If you're adding dried berries or raisins, add those along with the nuts.

Stir to combine.


Then drop by large tablespoons onto your prepared baking pans.


Bake for 10-12 minutes. If you like them crispy, let them go the longer time, if you like them chewy, go with the lower time.

Even without the berries or raisins, they were still delicious. 


Believe it or not, fall has finally made it to the ranch. Of course, summer isn't going to just up and leave, but one front and another one on the way are doing their best to encourage her on down into the southern hemisphere. And that's fine by me. We've spent too long enduring 90s and 100s. I'm more than ready for some 70 and 80 degree temps.

I don't know about you, but I still can't believe it's October. 2019 has just flown by. And I'm sure that before I turn around, Thanksgiving and Christmas will be knocking on my door. So I guess that means baking season has already started. 

What's cooking in your kitchen?


Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she's not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more a mindyobenhaus.com.



8 comments:

  1. I am giggling at the thought of 80 degree weather being fall! We finally have hit the steady no ac just fan mode and window open weather. I have apples and bananas that need to get used up do some baking will be happening eventually in our house, but this week's theme is going to be instant pot meals! From pork chops and rice to lentil soup! Trying out the whole meal planning thing again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, one of these days I hope to accomplish two things--meal planning and becoming adept at using my instant pot. ;)

      Delete
  2. I love oatmeal cookies! I usually make them with chocolate chips (my mother-in-law's recipe!), but I also love raisins in them. :-)

    We have winter knocking on our door! The high's today are supposed to be close to 80°, but that's our normal pre-storm warm-up. We're looking at between 5 and 10 inches of snow from Wednesday night through Friday morning. I'm glad my pantry is stocked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, going from the 80s to snow. Now that's drastic, Jan. Hope you have a fireplace/wood burning stove in your new place, too.

      Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of chocolate in my oatmeal cookies. If I want chocolate, I'll just make some good old chocolate chip cookies. Still, I bet your MIL had a great recipe.

      Delete
  3. Oh, YUM! My two favorite cookies are oatmeal raisin and peanut butter. These sound so good (even without raisins)!

    Yeah, I'm weird in that I don't really love chocolate chip cookies. I like them better as sugar cookies without the chocolate chips. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny, Missy, because I always make a few of the cookies without the chips for me. And, you know, I never think to make peanut butter cookies, though I always loved them. I think my kids didn't care for them and that's why I stopped. Self preservation, you know. ;)

      Delete
  4. Eeep!!! Yes to autumn oatmeal cookies!!!! I must whip up a batch and try to resist adding the chocolate chips this time. :-) Raisins or dried cranberries maybe. More autumnish.

    ReplyDelete