Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Revisiting My Favorite Pasta Salad

I shared this recipe a few years ago as we were approaching the Fourth of July, touting it as a perfect side for burgers, brats, ribs, chicken or steak, but chances are your July fourth is going to look a little different this year. Though that doesn't mean you can't enjoy some delicious summertime dishes. Like this super yummy pasta salad.

Naturally, the key ingredient is pasta. You're welcome to use whatever you like/have on hand, but I prefer something with a little color so I often opt for the Wacky Mac or some other tri-colored pasta.
Sometimes you can even find holiday pasta, like red, white and blue stars or red and green Christmas trees. I've seen them at places like Homegoods and Cost Plus World Market. They're fun for both cooking and decorating. Simply keep them on display in a sealed mason jar until you're ready to use them. (BTW, I have no idea why my font size changed)

Cook your pasta according to package directions to al dente. Once the time is up, drain immediately and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Then place your cooked pasta into a bowl. 

Add some chopped red onion, bell pepper and sliced black olives. 
These are my veggies of choice, but you're welcome to add whatever you like. But this next ingredient is what takes this pasta salad to the next level.
Imitation crab, which can usually be found in the meat section of your favorite market, is the key ingredient. Chop it up and stir in as much or little as you like into your pasta mixture.
Top everything with some Italian salad dressing (I don't recommend fat-free versions because without the oil the liquid ends up soaking into the pasta, making for a drier salad) and toss again.
Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator until ready to serve. That means you can make it the day ahead. But when something is this easy, you really don't have to.

Colorful, tasty and simple, making this one of my all-time favorite recipes. Oh, and did I mention it's always a crowd-pleaser?

So what is your Independence Day celebration going to look like this year? I know a lot of the larger cities will be televising their annual fireworks. Somehow, that's just not the same. Ours will be lower than low-key since we'll be celebrating two of our grandsons' graduation on the third. Yes, I have now have two adult grandchildren. And yes, I had my first child when I as ten. 


Award-winning author Mindy Obenhaus is passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. She lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, one sassy pup, countless cattle, deer and the occasional coyote, mountain lion or snake. When she's not writing, she enjoys spending time with her grandchildren, cooking and watching copious amounts of the Hallmark Channel. Learn more at mindyobenhaus.com

8 comments:

  1. I love pasta salad, and I love imitation crab, so I will love this! I have to ix-nay the onions but I'll find something else to tuck in there for vibrance... maybe a little garlic or even tarragon with the crab?

    Mindy, our 4th will be farm work and good food with whoever is around. And maybe we'll do our own little parade, waving flags and banging on kettles. :) We've done that before and while lame, it's fun for the littles. And then they'll remember it as a "big parade" we put on in twenty years.

    A different 4th for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, I figured you would be doing farm stuff and then feeding everyone who helps. Are you going to put something on the smoker? Yes, definitely a different 4th.

      Delete
  2. I love this pasta salad! The combination of flavors make it so tasty, and I'll take any excuse to use the imitation crab. :-)

    We're hoping our 4th of July is different this year. Over the past fifteen to twenty years I've grown to hate what the 4th has become in the suburban neighborhoods we've lived in. I know some of you know what I'm talking about - so many fireworks going off that you can't tell one from the other. Constant noise, flying debris hitting houses, and all lasting well into the wee hours of the morning. No driving out of the neighborhood to watch the community fireworks because streets are blocked with revelers. It has been a nightmare. About ten years ago we gave up. Closed up the house and hunkered down in the basement, hoping to get some sleep.

    But this year we're hoping our new neighborhood will observe the "no fireworks" policy in force throughout the Hills. And we will sit on our deck and watch the fireworks over Mt. Rushmore on the 3rd. Perhaps we'll head up to Belle Fourche for their fabulous 4th of July parade on Saturday, if it isn't too hot. I love an old fashioned 4th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got that right, Jan. Any excuse to use imitation crab. ;)

      I don't recall streets being blocked when we lived in the burbs, but I do remember fireworks going off all night long. I SO wanted to the cops to show up, but they never did. Your fireworks show this year should be spectacular, though. Hopefully you've had enough moisture to protect everything. Oh, and I want pictures, please. :D

      Delete
  3. Mindy, I never think to add "fake crab" as we call it around here! I think that would be great in pasta salad. Thanks for sharing again!

    We have no plans for the day. We don't even have a grill anymore since our son and his wife bought a house. They came and repossessed the nice Traeger grill we had been babysitting for 2 years while they lived in a mid-town Atlanta apartment. :) Maybe it's time to look at buying a new grill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, yes, you definitely need to get yourselves a grill. A good one isn't cheap, but if you use it as much as we use ours, it's worth it.

      Delete
  4. Twirly pasta screams summer salad, doesn't it? I love pasta salad and I never make it. I have no idea why. We have our big country birthday bash tomorrow but it's a virtual celebration so it's definitely not going to feel partyish. I think I'll spend Canada Day flitting about my garden (shame on me, I don't have an red flowers!) and reading a book...or two. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, twirly pasta is my favorite. It's just fun. And you need some red flowers in your garden. Red always adds a nice pop. And I'm thrilled that it's warm enough that you actually can work in your garden.

      Delete