Friday, June 5, 2020

Coconut Curry Ramen (Vegetarian)

Missy Tippens

I made ramen bowls last night! I've mentioned in a post before that we love going to a local restaurant to get ramen. But this was one of the meal kits from Dinnerly, so it was nice to actually make it at home. I have to say I impressed myself! It was really flavorful. :)

First, I cooked the noodles, Chuka Soba noodles.



For the broth, I sautéed garlic and chopped green onions. Then I added a big boost of flavor  from about 2 Tbs. of curry powder. Next came the coconut milk (and it was actually made from a coconut milk powder, which was new to me), pasta water (you have to be sure to remember to save the noddle water before you drain them!), and tamari soy sauce. Finally, a splash of white wine vinegar.

The vegetables (sautéed separately) included snow peas, which were original to the recipe, and chopped asparagus that I added to make the dish go further.

In the photo, I was cutting the snow peas lengthwise into strips.





Once the broth was done, I added in the vegetables and cooked noodles.

We served, topped with boiled eggs!


This was so good! But it took close to an hour to prep. Worth it, I think. :)


www.missytippens.com

9 comments:

  1. Mary, I love your ingenuity. Well done!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't take credit since I followed the Dinnerly recipe--unless you count the ingenuity of adding extra veggies. :) But it certainly turned out good!

      Delete
  2. This looks fancy dancy and good! And healthy. There's something so comforting about cradling a bowl of good for you food. You've reminded me that I need to be on the hunt for powdered coconut milk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, I'm going to hunt it out, too. It was so easy! It seems I never have a can of coconut milk when I need it, so powdered will be handy.

      I have to say, though, that it was really comforting until we all started feeling as if we were having hot flashes!! (well, I probably WAS having one LOL, but not my daughter) :) It was definitely more a winter food.

      Delete
  3. Powdered coconut milk. Is itlre creamy? The one time I used coconut milk it was watery (to me) and tasted bland. We did a at home hibachi grill recently. When I was making it I told Jacob I wish I had made eggs for it. This looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, it was a little more watery than canned coconut milk. But it smelled and tasted really good.

      I love hibachi!! We had that last week. :)

      Delete
  4. This looks delicious, Missy! I'm going to have to find the ingredients and go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, email me if you do, and I'll give you more details of the recipe. I think you'll love it!

      Delete
  5. Hmm... I like the concept, Missy, but the coconut and curry don't float my boat. Curry is probably my least favorite spice. Still, the noodles like that are always yummy. Sounds like you're enjoying that meal delivery service. Kind of encourages you to try new things, huh?

    ReplyDelete