Thursday, June 4, 2020

Orzo-slash-Acini de Pepe Fruit Salad

I'm not sure what a pandemic has in common with Acini de Pepe pasta, but it's not available here, and I wanted to make that fun fruit and pasta salad, so I did.... and used Orzo.

So Orzo cooks a little differently, and it's shaped like tiny footballs, so we may now have a Super Bowl fave contender, right? Can you even?????

This is one of my summertime faves. I love the sweetness, the creaminess and the fact that it's good for days. Must be the Cool Whip! :)

And I'm wondering if grandkids will start liking it. They haven't so far, but then that's more for me.

We've done some more planting this week.... and I have to be honest and say I'm glad we're busy. So glad. With all the things going on, it's hard to keep yourself focused but I'm pretty sure idle hands are the devil's workshop, so these hands have been working.

We have more planter tables.....

We're creating a fun display for folks to see.

We've got more flags made....

And it rained for two days, so today my hard-working buddies are picking rocks out of fields and putting them in hedgerows..... we have so many rocks in one field! It's like the glacier rolled to a halt, unloaded five bajillion rocks, the rolled on down to finish carving Lake Ontario.

So the bajillion rocks wreak havoc with equipment. Hence the moving of the rocks. I get to write books and make food.

I HAVE THE BEST JOB EVER!!!!!!

Anyway, back to salad:



 The recipe is well-known. I do add maraschino cherries and 1/3 cup of maraschino juice to the mix and it gives it a nice pink/salmon color. This picture is of the fruit juice pudding mixed with the freshly-cooked pasta and ready for chillin'!

Acini de Pepe (or Orzo) Salad.... AKA: Frog's Eye Salad (now that's just gross.... I cannot in good conscience call it that, my friends!)

 8 ounces tiny-sized pasta (Acini de Pepe or Orzo)
1 20 oz can crushed pineapple
1 20 oz can mandarin orange segments
1/2 jar maraschino cherries, cut in half (mine is a 16 oz. jar)
1 container Cool Whip
7 ounces of miniature marshmallows
Cook 8 ounces of Acini de Pepe pasta in lightly salted water... or in this case 8 oz. of Orzo in lightly salted water. It took about 8 minutes. Drain. Set aside.

1 20 oz can crushed pineapple
1 20 oz can mandarin orange segments
1/2 jar maraschino cherries, cut in half (mine as a 16 oz. jar)

Chill the fruit in a bowl while waiting for pasta/pudding mix to cool

Drain pineapple and oranges, reserving juices. Add about 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup of the cherry juice to the pineapple and orange liquid. Put in 3 quart kettle. Add 1 cup sugar, 3 Tablespoons flour, 2 beaten eggs. Whisk together. Heat until boiling. Mixture should thicken.  Remove from heat, mix with drained pasta in big bowl, refrigerate overnight or for 5-6 hours.

When all is well-chilled, lightly mix in:

1 container Cool Whip
7 ounces of miniature marshmallows

Mix and chill, serve cold!

So it was rhubarb cutting time:

Making Strawberry Rhubarb jam for sale (and for us!) and freezing some because Luke is coming home for a few days in late July and he loves strawberry rhubarb pie.

So do I, but we're the only ones! I can share a pie with someone!!!!

Only Lukie is 6'3" tall and I am 5'2 1/2" tall, so half a pie is very visible on me.... and it's like nothing to him, the brat!


9 comments:

  1. Ruthy we are the same height! You know I will eat this salad, but I have never been a big fan of it. It has been fun to see your photos of the things you all have been making. So much fun on the farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this salad.... Me and Jon. We're the only two, so this was a BIG JOB to eat it all. :) It's delicious... the pudding and the Cool Whip and the fruit are marvelous, and the marshmallows kind of form a kinship with the pasta... and the orzo worked as well as the Acini de Pepe, so that's nice to know!

      And oh mylanta, Katie, it's been busy! Like WHAT?????? So when my computer keyboard got stuck by soda and naughty cats this morning, I might have been a little ANGSTY.... ay yi yi. :) But I survived and it's all good!

      Delete
  2. I've never had this salad. Is it a salad? Fruit and pasta? Is that really a thing?

    Maybe I've been isolated too long. ;-)

    But I love the rhubarb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, this was one of those recipes that was featured in ladies' magazines when you and I were young mothers and the dinosaurs roamed the earth. :)

      I had it at a wedding or baby shower years ago and loved it.

      Still do!!!!

      It would be a great take-along to a church dinner or potluck.

      When we can do those things again.

      Delete
  3. My head can't wrap around the combination of pasta and cool whip. lol But I'm totally onboard for anything rhubarb! Especially when combined with strawberries.

    My urban 'farming' ventures are working out...mostly. I lost one broccoli plant to a groundhog. Shout out to my schnauzer neighbour, Pixie, who chased the vermin away before he could indulge in any more! And my tomatoes and peppers are looking hale and hearty (crossing fingers.) Oh, and my beans have shot up. Woohoo! Such an exciting event after waiting days wondering if anything was going to happen. I also have a furry gardening bunny. I'm calling her Mrs. Periwinkle -- a rather rotund rabbit who I fear is expecting multiple bunnies. She's a salad greens kind of gal so, unfortunately those crops aren't doing well. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, those bunnies!!!! And once those babies are out of the nest, we kiss the veggies goodbye. Dagnabbit, Kav!!!

      You should try this. It doesn't taste like pasta.... it's like just delicious goodness wrapped around delicious goodness.... some folks put coconut in it, but I like it better without.

      I love that you're gardening!!! Mrs. MacGregor!!!!

      Delete
  4. This salad (or more like dessert! LOL) is my son's favorite. There are several of us that like it, so it doesn't last long when we make it. Good to know about the orzo, although the acini de pepe is in stock around here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Kav. I can't wrap my head around this recipe! haha But I might give it a try someday, just to be ADVENTUROUS!

    Ruthy, I love strawberry-rhubarb pie! My grandmother used to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ruthy, I can't pronounce this, but you had me at Cool Whip. So is this akin to, say, a rice pudding? I'd have never thought to put pasta, no matter how tiny, in a dessert. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete