Friday, June 26, 2020

Freezing Peaches--Need Your Input!

Missy Tippens


Well, I picked up another produce box and other products from Georgia Grown To Go  yesterday! And, yay! I didn't embarrass myself this time with car doors that wouldn't unlock. :) (Still can't figure out why they didn't work last time.)

It's fun to see the different produce that comes a few weeks later. This time, the box included corn, cucumbers, zucchini, yellow squash, Vidalia onions, green peppers, cantaloupe, and...a bag of jalapeño peppers! I believe Mindy once shared a jalapeño popper recipe, so I plan to look that up.



So we had our first of the year cantaloupe last night. It was soo good!! Perfectly ripe.



This time they also offered shiitake mushrooms grown not too far from here (up in the mountains in apple country). I roasted them for dinner along with the squash and green peppers and onions.



I also ordered a huge box of Georgia peaches. I'm so excited about these! I plan to freeze some and will be making a cobbler soon.


I'm looking for recommendations for how to freeze the peaches. I think I will do a flash dip in boiling water to help the peel come off. I wanted to see what y'all recommend to keep them from browning. Do you use lemon juice and sugar (that's one recipe I found)? What do y'all think? I plan to freeze them in bags (not canned).

I look forward to hearing from all of you!


www.missytippens.com



9 comments:

  1. I love getting a produce box! We get one weekly from misfits market. I do miss the ones we use to get in SD that were more local, but with Covid it has much so much easier to just have it delivered. The down side is FedEx is rough with them and they have no urgency and there have been weeks I had to file a bad produce report. The company gave a full refund though so it made up for it. We get a big box so I can take half to our pastor for someone in need. Sometimes more if I don't see us using a lot.

    Mmm peaches. One of the best fruits there is. I am trying to remember how I did mine a few years ago. I think I just blanched and froze them. Maybe some lemon juice? I would use them in things where the color didn't really matter so I guess I never thought about that. Will be fun to see others ideas! I would say no to the sugar though. Peaches are sweet enough on their own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, after you mentioned the misfits market, I checked it out. They don't deliver here. But then I heard about this mobile farmer's market. It's been great!

      The recipe I found doesn't use a lot of sugar (a half a teaspoon per peach). Just enough to help the peaches made some juice to help protect them. Also the juice of a lemon for each 8-10 peaches. The peaches aren't quite ripe yet, so I have a bit of time to decide. :)

      Delete
  2. Missy, my MIL would get a box of Fredericksburg peaches every year and freeze them. Lemon juice is all you need to prevent browning. I wouldn't add sugar. Then flash freeze them like berries, by spreading them on a sheet pan and putting them in the freezer until they're firm. That way they won't all stick together. Nor will they turn brown. ;) Enjoy! They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mindy! I wondered about doing a flash freeze like I did for the blueberries. I'm glad you shared that with me!

      Delete
  3. One thing I'm waiting for is the fresh summer produce! Since our spring starts so late, produce comes in July and August.

    I bought some peaches on our last grocery shopping trip, but they were disappointing. Nearly two weeks later they're rock-hard, tasteless, and beginning to go bad. I can't wait for the produce trucks from the Pacific northwest or Colorado to arrive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan I bought a box at Sams Club last week and got lucky! They are so good. Now the grapefruit Jacob got at Hy-Vee the other day was a different story :(

      Delete
    2. Jan, I hope you get some trucks through soon!

      Delete
  4. Missy, these look like beautiful peaches! Like Jan said, our fruits will come in six weeks.... so we've got some time. (well, strawberries and blueberries sooner!) but I agree with the idea of flash freezing... that worked really well for me, too.

    And what a winter-time treat they'll be!

    ReplyDelete