Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Strawberries - Summer's First Fruits

Summer has hit Texas with a vengeance. Temps are in the 90s, but the "feels-like" temperatures have soared into the hundreds. But there is good news. Strawberries are in season.
We've had strawberry shortcake two weekends in a row. And there's never a bad time for chocolate dipped strawberries. But what about a savory strawberry salad?
This is one of my favorite salads.

Here's what you'll need to make it:
  • One 10-12 oz package baby spinach
  • Half a small red onion, thin sliced
  • 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
  • Blue cheese crumbles
  • Sliced fresh strawberries
  • Your favorite red wine vinaigrette
Toss together the spinach, onion, almonds, strawberries, and blue cheese. Now add 1/4 cup of dressing and toss again. And you can always add more dressing, if you like. 

How's that for a simple dish? It's great by itself or on the side with a slice of quiche or, maybe, a grilled chicken breast. The flavor of the blue cheese melds so well with the strawberries and vinaigrette. It's light, it's refreshing... Perfect for summer.

So this happened this weekend.
Nothing like a little encouragement when you're struggling with the beginning of a new story. I'm beyond thrilled.

What are some of your favorite ways with strawberries?



Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus is passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. She lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, one sassy pup, countless cattle, deer and the occasional coyote, mountain lion or snake. When she's not writing, she enjoys spending time with her grandchildren, cooking and watching copious amounts of the Hallmark Channel. Learn more at mindyobenhaus.com

8 comments:

  1. Woohoo! Congratulations, Mindy! Well deserved.

    I'm drooling over your strawberries. We're not quite there yet up here. Wonky weather has messed with the growing season so the hope is end of June or beginning of July for the strawberries. Just a few weeks off but the anticipation is making me antsy. :-) Like the idea of that strawberry salad! I've had something similiar with mandarin oranges. I'll have to branch out this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it looks like Blogger ate my comment. Bad, bad Blogger.

      Thank you, Kav! I will be praying you will see strawberries soon. But you could do it with mandarins and see how they pair with the blue cheese. I love fruit and cheese pairings. Oh wait, I love cheese and anything pairings. :)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations, dear friend! That's awesome! And I love this salad, didn't it win some big contest??? Or was that the one with bacon? Basically this, but with bacon, I think, and the sweet/savory/leafy combo is amazing.

    And Kav, I bet you could use the oranges and strawberries right here in this. How delicious would that be?

    And no bacon on yours!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruthy! I don't know about this salad winning any contest. I've had this recipe for a while, so maybe it did. No bacon in it, though, but a little bacon never hurt anything.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations, Mindy! You need to change your bio to read "Three time Carol finalist and Holt Medallion winner..." I'm so happy for you!

    And I have everything to make this salad expect the spinach, so maybe I'll make it with romaine. The strawberries came courtesy of Sam's Club, but that's as close to fresh-picked as we get around here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, one of the first things my husband said was, "Now you can say you're an award-winning author." So I guess I'll have to work on changing up the bio.

      Don't you love it when you come across a recipe you want to try and realize you have everything to make it. Score!

      Delete
  4. Mindy, I love a salad with strawberries!

    Congratulations on the Holt!! So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete