Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Southwest Chicken Not-Soup

 At the end of September, Mindy shared her Southwest Chicken Soup. At the time, I commented on how I'd planned to make something similar.


Well, yesterday was the day - but I wasn't in a soup mood. It was windy and rainy, but not really cold enough to induce soup cravings - so I made the not-soup and served it over rice instead.


I started with a can of black beans and some organic frozen corn.




I had leftover chicken and rice, so I reheated them in some chicken stock - enough to moisten them but not turn it into soup.


It's not a great photo because the camera steams up
when I try to take a photo over the pot.


Then I mixed (mushed) it all together.




I probably should have added some spices like cumin or cayenne or something, and I was wishing I had some cilantro, but even without the spices, it was a totally satisfying, comfort meal.


I had enough leftovers for a quinoa variation, but you'll have to wait til next week for that. (Mainly because I had the idea but haven't made it yet!)


Personally, I like making meals like this that generate leftovers. At the end of a long day of teaching, culinary creativity is not in the cards. Having something ready that can just be warmed up is perfect.

8 comments:

  1. I love having leftovers for that same reason, Cate! I'm much less likely to order a to-go meal if there's already something in the fridge or freezer.

    This non-soup idea is a great one! All the ingredients put together without the broth is genius. I'm going to have to try it sometime. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose we could call it stew??? But I'll stick with not-soup.

      I haven't ordered out since February, I think. Yikes!

      Delete
  2. Mary Cate, this looks great! Yeah, maybe a little cumin and chili powder. Green chilies would have work well, too. Throw some cheese on top and I think I've just talked myself into dinner. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, you got me hooked on green chilis. I always keep them stocked now!

      Delete
    2. They're a great flavor addition, aren't they, Missy?

      Delete
    3. I considered cheese, Mindy, but it didn't seem right. And that is strange because there's pretty much nothing I won't put cheese on!

      Delete
  3. Mary Cate, this is something I would love! And a great complete protein!

    Yes, leftovers are the way to go. So much easier than cooking all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I almost felt like I was overdoing it on the protein, but I needed it.

      Delete