Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Deadlines, Easy Meals and Unearthing History

 While I continue to work toward a deadline with a story that is giving me fits, life goes on. My husband still wants to be fed, so I've been doing my best to keep things simple and/or use the CrockPot as often as possible. Fortunately, we've had a couple of cool fronts pass through which have actually put soup back on the menu.

I love soup. It's so versatile and the added benefit of the CrockPot is very high on my list right now. Last week, I make some of my favorite Southwest Chicken Soup.

You can find the recipe here. One of the best things about this is that I can start with frozen chicken breasts and then let it cook all day.

While I've been living in my office, hubby has been out having some fun around the ranch. He's always been a huge history buff and has often told me about the Karankawa Indians that once inhabited our area. When his father was a boy, he would go out and walk the fields after a rain storm or when the farmers tilled to search for arrowheads. This is a small part of his collection.

Well, my husband was recently approached by a couple of fellows who have been doing some excavating in our area in search of arrowheads. Naturally, he was totally on board with that, especially since he gets to keep whatever they find. So they brought in a backhoe and a big shaker thingie (technical term, you know) that sifts the dirt from the rock and within a matter of hours, they'd found all of these. 
Believe it or not, these predate the Karankawas by quite a stretch. The arrowhead on the upper right dates back to 1500 BC. The one on the bottom left dates back to 2500 BC! I mean how crazy is that? To think that people inhabited this land thousands of years ago is mind-blowing. And hubby is having a ball.

So that's what's going on here at the ranch. What's happening where you are?

Award-winning author Mindy Obenhaus is passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. She lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, two sassy pups, countless cattle, deer and the occasional coyote, mountain lion or snake. When she's not writing, she enjoys spending time with her grandchildren, cooking and watching copious amounts of the Hallmark Channel. Learn more at mindyobenhaus.com

6 comments:

  1. How fascinating, Mindy! I love history! There's a place in lower Manhattan where they have excavated the foundations of a Revolutionary War era tavern and have left it exposed (covered with some sort of plexiglass type shield), so you can actually look down at what was once on the ground under you.

    Your soup is inspired. I have chicken, corn and black beans and was thinking of putting them together in a soup. You've saved me the effort of figuring it out (although there goes the idea for a blog post. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate, it's not often you can say that I inspire you, so I'll take it. Sorry about the blog post, though.

      That's cool about the tavern. Just goes to show that we never know what might be just beneath our feet.

      Delete
  2. Wow, how cool to have that kind of history on your doorstep! And I like it when you have deadlines because that means there's be a book for me to read in the future. I'm reading A Father's Promise right now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, Kav, I may have just squealed. I hope you enjoy the story! :D

      Delete
  3. I love the image of this history... and cannot imagine living in a society that used rock tips for weaponry and had no wheel...

    Think about how differently things advanced in Europe and Asia vs. North and South America?

    I look at that, and always wonder what was it that inspired the Greeks to be thinkers and scholars? Was living in proximity a huge part of why their culture changed regularly and significantly?

    The Western hemisphere had such a distance to overcome, and warring tribes.... a very different life and outcome.

    This is fascinating, Mindy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it interesting, too, Ruthy. It's hard to fathom what life must have been like back then.

      Delete