Tuesday, September 15, 2020

This and That Around the Ranch

I've got a deadline in my not-so-distant future, so meals here at the Obi house have been of the quick, throw together variety. Although, we did have a cool front roll through last week that dropped our high temperatures into the 70's. That's unheard of around these parts this time of year. So naturally, I had to do something to celebrate. And some homemade chicken soup sounded like just the ticket. (recipe here)
It was so yummy. As was this quick eggroll stir fry I made last week. 
This is what you do when you're craving Chinese food but don't want any carbs. And I was able to use things I had on hand. Actually, this recipe is one I found on the back of an eggroll wrapper package way back when my youngest daughter (now 31) was just a baby. We were living on Ellsworth Air Force Base outside of Rapid City, SD and had three little ones, so going out to eat was rare for more than one reason. So when I was craving Chinese, I'd make eggrolls at home.

For the filling, all you need is:
  • 1 lb. breakfast sausage (regular or spicy)
  • 2 cups shredded cabbage (or a bag of cole slaw blend, which was what I used here)
  • 1/2 cup bean sprouts (I did not use them this time because who keeps bean sprouts on hand?)
  • Shredded carrots (unless they're in the slaw mix)
  • Green onions, chopped (to taste)
  • 1/2 - 1 tsp ground ginger 
  • 1/2 - 1 tsp granulated garlic (you can use fresh garlic, minced, if you prefer)
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
Simply brown the sausage and then drain off the fat. Then add the veggies and stir fry for a couple of minutes. You decide how crunchy you want them. Add seasonings and stir to combine.

That's it! My craving got fulfilled without any carbs. 

So on a recent trip to the grocery store, I found these.
Yep, that strictly the "magical" marshmallows from Lucky Charms. I didn't buy them, but I took a picture and sent it to my daughters. One said, "It's about time!" Another said, "Obviously the idea of a millennial." Yes, these were the two that always picked out the marshmallows and left most of the cereal. Though I'm thinking these might be yummy mixed into some homemade Rice Krispie treats. What do you think? Maybe I'll have to pick up a bag.
I'm just gonna say it. I love Longhorn cattle. Regular cattle are okay, but Longhorns have flare. They have the right accessories to really compliment the outfit, right? This one belongs to one of our neighbors, but I want a Longhorn. I have made my wishes known. Doubt they'll carry any weight but, hey, a gal's gotta try. They don't know unless you tell them, right. 

So that's what's going on in Obi land. What's happening in your part of the world?


Award-winning author Mindy Obenhaus is passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. She lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, one sassy pup, countless cattle, deer and the occasional coyote, mountain lion or snake. When she's not writing, she enjoys spending time with her grandchildren, cooking and watching copious amounts of the Hallmark Channel. Learn more at mindyobenhaus.com

 

10 comments:

  1. Good morning, Mindy!! The soup looks lovely--we're dipping into the seventies here this week, and I can't wait to make a pot of soup! While we're slogging through the muggy 90's, soup doesn't make the menu cut. And I am definitely trying that egg roll dish!! Did you substitute something for the bean sprouts or just leave them out? Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Laurel! Yes, I'm the same way when it comes to soup. It's gotta be below 80, right? Like you, I can't wait for cooler weather so I can feast on soups and stews and chili. That particular chicken soup is my favorite because it's loaded with flavor. I did not substitute anything for the bean sprouts--which are really difficult to find, btw--though I have added mushrooms.

      Delete
  2. I love seeing pictures of your ranch! And I'm so glad you got to enjoy some cooler weather.

    We're heading into soup weather as soon as we can. I love the lighter meals we have in the summer, but there's something so satisfying about a bowl of soup or stew, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is, indeed, Jan. When it's cool/cold, I could eat soup every night because there are so many I love.

      Delete
  3. I am craving the stir fry now. It looks so good!

    But the marshmallows make my teeth hurt just looking at them. That said, I do think the Rice Krispy treats idea sounds good as long as there's no cosmic price to pay for mixing breakfast cereals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I owned long horn cattle I'd be tempted to decorate them at Christmas. I mean, that there is just begging for some baubles and tinsel and a twinkling light or two. Wouldn't that be an awesome sight -- a field of twinkling cows. Off topic, I know but....

    And Lucy Charm marshmallows? They'd be kinda cute floating in a mug of hot cocoa. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, they didn't make battery operated lights for nothing. They'd be perfect on a Longhorn. I'm in total agreement with you. I mean, it's all about the accessories.

      I didn't even think about hot cocoa. That's an awesome idea!

      Delete
  5. Mindy, I missed your post yesterday! And wow, a bag of the Lucky Charms marshmallows?!! I hate to admit how much I love them. LOL I'll have to avoid buying them because I'm sure I'd be the only one in my house to partake. :)

    I love this recipe for the stir fry! Sounds like something I'd really enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Missy! There are many things I can't have in my house for the very same reason. ;)

      Delete