Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Revisiting Chocolate Chip Cookies and the Rodeo

Normally, September would be county fair time all across south central Texas. And that can only mean one thing.

Rodeo! 

Of course, things are a little different this year. The fair has been pared down significantly and there will be no  rodeo. So, instead, we're just going to take a little step back in time to our first county fair .

Where patriotism reigns.
Along with ropin',
Barrel racing,
Bronc and bull riding.
It's a tradition that's gone on for decades. And small town at its best.

But, boy, it'll work up an appetite and have your sweet tooth clamoring for something every bit as classic. And you can't get more classic than chocolate chip cookies.

Here's what you'll need:
  • 1/2 cup (one stick) unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 2 1/4 cups flour
  • 2 cups chocolate chips
  • 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and shortening.
Add sugars...
And beat until well blended. 
Add eggs.
And, you guessed it, beat well. Until it looks like this.
With mixer on low, add flour, salt, soda and cinnamon a little at a time so as not to send flour flying everywhere. Once everything is incorporated, beat at medium to high speed for another minute.

Stir in chocolate chips and nuts, if you're using them. I didn't, because there are some in my house who frown on nuts. Brats.

 Spoon onto ungreased baking sheet. I like to use a cookie scoop, like this.

I have a larger one I use when I'm making cupcakes. It helps keep everything nice and uniform. 
Bake 8-12 minutes, or until golden.

There's a reason these cookies are a classic. And they always get eaten.

Now it's your turn. Have you ever been to a rodeo? If so, what's your favorite event? And more important, what's your favorite cookie?

Award-winning author Mindy Obenhaus is passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. She lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, one sassy pup, countless cattle, deer and the occasional coyote, mountain lion or snake. When she's not writing, she enjoys spending time with her grandchildren, cooking and watching copious amounts of the Hallmark Channel. Learn more at mindyobenhaus.com

10 comments:

  1. We had one rodeo in this area for about six years... and the girls and I went every year, but they stopped it about five years ago... so that's sad. But chocolate chip cookies are never sad! They are happy, so this post makes me yearn for rodeo and eat cookies. Eating of the cookies makes the rodeo loss slightly easier. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, eating cookies makes everything better. Well, at least until you step on the scale. :P

      Delete
  2. I love the rodeo! Around here, it's big doin's because rodeo is THE high school sport outside the city - and there's a LOT of South Dakota outside the city! In town there's football, basketball, track, etc. But you can't beat a good rodeo.

    And cookies. Yum. Double yum! I'm saving your recipe. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, that's the way rodeo is around here, too. Of course, Friday night lights are pretty big, too. I'm sad that they cancelled the fair/rodeo this year. There's not a lot that happens around our little town, so it's a big deal. As Ruthy would say, stupid COVID.

      Delete
  3. Mindy, the cookies look delish! I haven't been to a rodeo since college, when I went with my boyfriend at the time who owned horses. I don't know of any rodeos around here. But I can go for cookies just about anytime! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also meant to say my favorites are peanut butter, oatmeal raisin, and plain ol' sugar cookies. :)

      Delete
    2. Missy, I love soft sugar cookies. I could eat an entire batch myself.

      Delete
  4. I love the rodeo. My favorite event is barrel racing and I don't say that because my daughter barrel races. I just like it, and the beginning of the rodeo always makes me cry.

    As far as my favorite cookie, I'm not really sure. I'm not a chocolate fan. I like lemon, peanut butter, and sugar cookies as well as sandies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, your taste is similar to mine! I do love chocolate, but I don't really care for chocolate chips in my cookies.

      Delete
    2. Linda, the barrel races are my favorite, too. That takes a lot of skill. And sandies! I always forget about them. They're another favorite, though.

      Delete