Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Fire Cider Quinoa and Lentils

 Last February I did a post on Fire Cider. If you don't remember, my daughter had mentioned that it seemed to be Maine's go-to flu fighter. She wasn't feeling well, started shots of fire cider and felt better within a day!

In case you don't remember, Fire Cider is raw apple cider vinegar infused with habanero, oranges, horseradish, lemon, turmeric, ginger, black pepper, garlic and onion. It may include raw honey. 




I was reminded of the health benefits of fermented products recently when I was reading an article about Kimchi possibly being a reason Koreans were having luck warding off Covid. A Fermented Vegetable May Help Protect Against Covid. The article also mentioned Vitamin D.

Fast forward to today. I read a fascinating article - A Supercomputer Analyzed Covid-19 and an Interesting New Theory has Emerged. If you're geeky about this stuff like I am, give it a read. This computer - the 2nd fastest in the world - took a week to analyze the data and the result gave a Eureka moment according to the lead researcher. It explained so much of what has been puzzling about the virus. It's fascinating to read how the computer figured out not only what the virus is doing inside human bodies, but it offered hope of treatments that are already approved. And, harking back to that earlier article, Vitamin D still seems really important. And the ACE-inhibiting properties of fermented foods start to make sense.

So back to the fire cider. It's not kimchi, but I wondered if the way it is made is a similar enough process that it would be beneficial. I was also wondering how else to use it rather than just taking shots of it.

So, I decided to use it as a dressing. I made my tricolor quinoa and added in cooked, sprouted lentils. Normally I would smother it in cheddar cheese, but I decided to add a shot of fire cider instead.


It doesn't look like much, but the fire cider gave a nice kick to the quinoa and lentils.


So how do you feel about these kinds of food-based immune boosters? 

7 comments:

  1. I am such an awful junk-food eater that I can't offer an opinion on this, but it looks great! So there's that.

    And I loved your pic of Maine's shore on Facebook... I am yearning to see Maine.

    But pumpkins take precedence, so a trip to Maine in nice weather is a very thin proposition.

    One of these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ready to go join my youngest in her new home there.

      Delete
  2. I'm all for food-based immunity boosters!

    A friend gave me some fire cider and I'm willing to try it...but haven't quite figured it out (actually, a little cautious about opening the jar!) But I need to go back and read your previous post, and then dive in. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you go to the Fire Cider page, they offer some suggestions. One is to add it to tea.

      Delete
  3. Well, that's an interesting way to use that Fire Cider, Mary Cate. That quinoa looks fabulous, btw. A little zing, a little heat... I might have to check out that Fire Cider.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Mindy, looking at that photo I'm thinking I used the wrong one. That looks more like rice! HaHa

      Delete
  4. Cate, I'm a day late! But what an interesting idea! My husband has started drinking Kombucha for health properties. I haven't brought myself to be able to try it yet. haha But I might be able to add something like that to grains or lentils. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete