Thursday, September 3, 2020

On the Farm!

 Well, things have really revved up around here! 












I love this last one so much! That's Honey Bunny White Sox, curled up going full "camo" under a pile of faux leaves we're going to use for a photo op. So stinkin' cute. 

So we've been busy, and these pics are seven days old which means everything you're seeing has been increased by an exponential factor. In the end, it's all mathematical!!!

And we don't see our business as Halloween-oriented. We celebrate fall! Autumn! The change of seasons as indicated by overnight temps in the fifties, upper leaves tinging red and gold, and gorgeous long, sunny days.... and maybe decreasing humidity? We figure if you live in the north where you have three months of gray/white/coldness from January through March (December doesn't count because there is CHRISTMAS!!!! And Christmas is full of color and warmth and joy).

So we celebrate color and joy for the next two months. And we love it!!!! It makes scheduling anything tough because we're pulled in multiple directions right now, but we balance it by having plenty of helpful hands... 

Kids are getting big enough to actually join in the dance. And that's so much fun.

And so it begins.... Thursday and Friday are baking days, so a quick trip to Wegmans this morning to make sure I have everything I need on hand.... We've made strawberry rhubarb jam, strawberry jam, blackberry jam and triple berry jam... oh, and sour cherry jam! How did I forget that?

We are looking forward to a busy weekend... and happy folks. And this year, seeing people happy to be at the farm, visiting the donkeys, buying pumpkins and squash and cornstalks and hay, well... it's about the most normal thing that's happened around her in seven months.

And we thank God for that!



Multi-published, award-winning author Ruth Logan Herne is a writer by night, but by summertime day she works on the family pumpkin farm in Western New York where color and light and squash and mums rule the daylight hours! Friend Ruthy on Facebook or visit her website ruthloganherne.com and/or email Ruthy at loganherne@gmail.com. She'd love to hear from you!



13 comments:

  1. Ruthy, every time I see pictures of your fall preparations I want to get in the car and head your way. One of these years...

    Given how most of 2020 has gone, I bet you're going to be busier than ever. People are ready for normal again and that's what you offer. Extraordinary normal, but still normal. It also involves tradition and folks love their traditions. So hold onto your hat, my friend, I think you're going to be blown away. As will all of your visitors. They're going to get a heapin' helpin' of Ruthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, I think you're right... so of course the farmer is worried about parking, etc... but God's gotten us this far and folks will be careful... The displays are now spread over nearly two acres and it's so stinkin' pretty! All of our festivals have been cancelled... apple, apple-umpkin, all gatherings. So I hope we can have folks come here and love what they see and do and find great pumpkins and fun stuff.

      Delete
  2. I know a lot of hard work goes into keeping the farm running and successful, but you make it sound like so much fun. One of these years I’m going to take a trip up the East coast during the fall (always been a dream of mine to do that) and I’m coming to the farm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love that!!!!! That would be awesome, Edwina!

      Delete
  3. I love Mindy's comment. "Extraordinary normal." !!!!! LOVE IT!

    We all need normal right now, and your pictures are a fabulous taste of what's been missing all year (with a few exceptions, like the July 3rd fireworks at Mt. Rushmore!)

    I know you are enjoying the fruits of your labors! Congratulations on a beautiful harvest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! It's awesome and we're going to embrace all the normal we can. It's a fleeting thing this year. And I'm so glad you guys did the July fireworks It was beautiful. I pray for our country every day...

      Delete
  4. That looks like so much fun--and work! But the fun makes up for all the work. I'm with Mindy--I want to visit your farm!

    Love all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come north and east!!!!! You will probably be hugged, so be prepared!

      Delete
    2. I would LOVE some hugs! Wish we could make it this year, but it probably won't happen. :(

      Delete
  5. So much this -

    I feel like winter bleakness doesn't start til January.

    "We figure if you live in the north where you have three months of gray/white/coldness from January through March (December doesn't count because there is CHRISTMAS!!!! And Christmas is full of color and warmth and joy)."


    Love all the colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cate, every January I tell myself there are only 8 weeks to get through... sure March can be cold and rainy and snowy, but the days are 12 hours long! :) So those 8 weeks of January and February are the ones where we grin and bear it. Now I take down my colored Christmas lights and I replace them with white twinkle lights. I call them winter lights and they look pretty against the snow. And they come on early so folks heading home from work can smile. :) And by the time those 8 weeks are over, I tuck the white lights away and welcome spring!!!

      Delete
  6. Ruthy, I can't believe the time is here! It's still raging hot summer here! But how fun to see your pumpkins and to start looking forward to fall. I hope you have a wonderful, successful season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We are looking forward to busy and laughing and helping folks and stacking so many pumpkins!!!! So many displays for folks to copy. To love. We are truly blessed.

      Delete