Wednesday, September 30, 2020

From September 2020 to September 2019

Dinner tonight was so easy and so good.

Pasta with tuna and cheddar cheese. 

But there was nothing particularly interesting about it, so I was wondering what exactly we were talking about a year ago. I went back and looked at my post from the last week of September last year. It was one of my favorites, so I decided to reshare it.


Praline Peach Shortbread

I had several different meals planned for today, but life got in the way. Then, as I was scrolling through looking for a post I wanted to revisit on sandwiches (which I couldn't find), I found this. My mouth started to water just remembering it, so I figured since we STILL have summer weather, I'd share it again.


For the past few weeks, Facebook has been taunting/tempting me with a recipe for Peachy Praline Upside Down cake. Have any of you been getting that in your sidebar? It shows up in mine at least once a day.

So of course I had to look.

It's a recipe from Taste of Home.

Here's the link in case you want to make the real thing. Taste of Home Peach Praline Upside Down Cake.

I didn't want that big cake - mainly because I'm the only one here who would eat it. But really because it involved separating eggs and whipping the whites... and well, I just wanted something simpler.

Then I remembered a praline shortbread I'd had a few months ago from the farmer's market. It was pretty good, but lacked that home made taste.

So, why not combine them.

The first part I cribbed from Taste of Home.
2 sticks of butter softened
2/3 cup of sugar  (They call for brown. I used coconut palm sugar which is brown ;)  )
1 tsp of cinnamon (They added ginger but I skipped that. Nut meg might have been tasty.)

You mix all of that together over low heat until it's a yummy, gooey texture spread across the pan
bottom.




Then you layer peach slices and pecans. I used 4 peaches and a bunch of handfuls of pecans.









Next, with bows to King Arthur Flour, we had shortbread. You can find that recipe here:
King Arthur Flour Shortbread Recipe.
2 sticks of butter, 1 cup of confectioner's sugar, and 2 teaspoons of vanilla.
Cream everything together, then add 2 cups of flour.

Mix well and spread over the peaches. Bake at 350 degrees until done.

 The recipe for the shortbread says about 35 minutes, but I found that it took longer this way because the peach praline mix made the dough take longer to cook. It tasted really good after 35 minutes, but it wasn't thoroughly cooked.



I couldn't resist a peek as it was cooking
The finished product - a perfect accompaniment while I write.

Note: It is very rich, hence the small serving. But oh so delicious!

1 comment:

  1. I'm just seeing this, and I'm diving through the screen to taste this! I love peachy things!!!!!

    ReplyDelete