Thursday, October 1, 2020

Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup

 A recipe?

What????

Gadzooks! 

My daughter brought this recipe over and I put it together yesterday while she battled wind and rain to take care of customers.... A real November kind of day to say goodbye to September! 

This is one of Ree Drummond's recipes. You know Ree? The Pioneer Woman? Well back when I had time, I  used to follow Ree long before she was famous with a capital F and I use several of her recipes regularly, including her apple dumplings done with Mountain Dew... LOVE THEM!

But here's the link for this recipe:  SLOW COOKER BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP


This was a perfect solution on a day when I was teaching 5th grade to two great kids, baking school treats for 3 birthdays (Xavier, Finn and Lena) and juggling the school orders for thousands of Pie Pumpkins, the kind with great handles...

So a slow cooker meal fit the moment perfectly!

Here's a pic of the pie pumpkins:   




And the butternut squash is ripe!


Hooray! We've got these out for $20/bushel and folks are loving it! 

And at the end of the chilly, windy, rainy day we had this:


Comfort food and delicious! 

We've got another month of busy and then we tuck things away for nine months.... piles of pallets, stacks of wood, we stuff the basement with display items (and my basement is more like a cave than a modern-basement, just so you can picture the fun! :) 

And we start planning for 2021.

No matter what happens, could it be worse than what we've seen in 2020?

I don't want to tempt fate (she's a fickle thing!) but I think not. But then, friends...

I've been wrong before! 


Multi-published author Ruth Logan Herne adds pumpkin farmer to her credentials every summer and fall, but her first love is penning great stories in the wee smalls of the morning, stories that bring faith, hope and love into the hands of readers. Friend Ruthy on Facebook, visit her website ruthloganherne.com or email Ruthy at loganherne@gmail.com

And happy fall, y'all! 

7 comments:

  1. Good morning Ruthy! Could you bottle some of your energy? Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s always such a joy to read your posts! That soup looks delicious and I’m sure it tastes delicious. Will be trying it soon—cooler weather is finally on its way to Georgia! Of course, I’ve never let hot weather keep me from making soup, so why start now?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I believe this is the recipe I've used before. It's so good!

    I love your pumpkins!! And man, I wish I had those butternuts. Another of my favorite things. I like them roasted with butter and brown sugar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd make this tonight, but, alas, I don't have all the ingredients. But I LOVE the simplicity of this recipe! I might just have to make do with what I have and see what happens.

    And I'd buy a bushel of butternut squash in a New-York-minute. All I have to do is get to Upstate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oohhhh -- I haven't had broccoli cheese soup in forever! Used to get it at a cute little bistro downtown and that's over a decade ago. Yikes. This recipe looks doable even for a vegetarian version. I'll definitely be making this one.

    All those pumpkins!!!!! Makes me itch to do my Fall story times again. I need to dig out my copy of The Pumpkin Blanket by Deborah Turney Zagwyn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ruthy, Beth must get the same Pioneer Woman emails I do, because I just got this recipe, too. Haven't fixed it yet, though, so it's good to know that it has the Ruthy stamp of approval.

    ReplyDelete