Friday, October 2, 2020

Vegetarian Stuffed Green Peppers

 Missy Tippens


I hope you've all had a good week and are enjoying a bit of cooler weather. Today I wanted to share a meal I made recently that turned out really good! It was a Dinnerly recipe that I adjusted some.

Green peppers (however many you want to make. I did two since we're empty nesters again!)

Zucchini--one large, cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch slices 

Rice (I prefer brown for the fiber)

1 can of whole tomatoes (use your kitchen shears to chop them up right in the can) or just use a can of diced tomatoes or even tomato sauce if you prefer a smoother sauce

Cheese (the recipe called for feta, but I think I'll try fresh mozzarella next time or even cheddar)

chopped garlic

Italian seasoning



First, I put the rice on to cook. While cooking, I cut the peppers in half, cleaned out the seeds, and brushed all over with olive oil.

Then I roasted the green peppers on broil until they were starting to brown a bit. I flipped them over and added the zucchini to the baking sheet and roasted until the other side of the peppers was charring as well. I actually had to roast the zucchini a bit longer until it was softened. Let the vegetables cool a bit so you can handle them. Then chop up the roasted zucchini.




While the veggies are cooking, heat oil in a skilled and add the garlic. Then add the tomatoes and seasoning. Simmer for a few minutes.




Once the zucchini is chopped/shredded, stir it into the sauce. Then mix half of the sauce into the rice.




In a baking dish (I used a regular sized casserole dish to hold the four pepper halves), place the green peppers, cut side up. Fill with the rice/tomato/zucchini mixture. Top with the remaining sauce and crumble the cheese over the top.




Put it under the broiler until the cheese melts.



This turned out so good! I really enjoyed it and will make it again. It's a great dish for a meatless Monday. And very filling!


www.missytippens.com

8 comments:

  1. Well, Missy, I hate to say it, but this would never fly at my house. I'm not a huge bell pepper fan and hubby won't touch them with a ten foot pole. Of course, if I stuffed a poblano pepper, he'd eat it up. Me, not so much. A little too much heat for me. But I could add more cheese to counter the heat. And some chicken. Chicken, cream cheese and cheddar. Yah, that would work. Sorry, didn't mean to completely alter your vegetarian meal, but I do like the way I processed it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Missy! I'm saving this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandy, I'm so glad you came by! I hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. I'm with Mindy on the bell peppers. I like them, but they don't like me. :-(

    But your filling could be used in so many different ways! I'm thinking a bed of beans with the rice and veggies on top...add a big salad on the side... Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yum! And green peppers are so plentiful and cheap right now...and tasty! I haven't made stuffed peppers in ages and I've never made them with zucchini before. Definitely on my supper list for this week! Sometimes the simplest recipes are the best.

    ReplyDelete