Monday, October 5, 2020

Preparing for Winter

 "Preparing for winter?" I can hear you say. "But it's 80° outside!"

Jan here, telling you it's time.

Do you remember last year when that sudden snow storm had you scrambling for milk and bread along with the rest of your city? Or when the food supply chain was disrupted in March? The grocery stores are not fun when that happens!

Now, when we're in the midst of gorgeous autumn days, is the time to make sure your pantry is stocked.


So, last week I inventoried my pantry, checked to make sure all the stored foods are in good shape (no rusty cans or leaking packages,) and bought a few items to bring everything up to par.

And then I noticed a problem. We store dry beans and use them often, but we didn't use many of the Great Northern beans or Navy beans last year.

When beans are stored too long, they dry out even more than they are when you buy them. And the older and drier they are, the longer it takes to cook them. What's the solution? I can them!

Canning beans is easy-peasy if you have a pressure canner (if you don't have one, maybe you can borrow one from a friend or neighbor,) and it's even easier if you have a pressure cooker! Be sure you read the instructions for both appliances.

Super simple - 

First measure out your beans (I used four cups of dry Navy beans.) Rinse them and sort them, then it's time to cook them.

If you have a pressure cooker (aka Instant Pot or similar appliance,) put your rinsed beans in your pot along with enough water to reach the 1/2 mark on your liner. Add a couple tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, then seal your pot. Cook on high for about 30 minutes - longer if your beans are as old as mine. Let the pressure release manually. The entire process takes about an hour and a half.



If you don't have a pressure cooker, soak the rinsed beans in a large bowl or pot with plenty of water and the apple cider vinegar.

What does the vinegar do? It helps get rid of the enzymes that cause people to avoid beans. And it works!

Anyway, after soaking for 12-24 hours, rinse the beans again and cook in a large pot with plenty of water for about 30 minutes.

No matter which method you used to cook your beans, rinse them again after cooking.

While your beans are cooking, prepare your canning jars. Four cups of dry beans will fill about seven pint jars. Wash the jars and sanitize them (your dishwasher is the perfect appliance for this step.) Also, be sure to check the rims of your jars for any cracks or chips. If you find any, throw that jar away and use a different one. A cracked or chipped canning jar is dangerous to have around!

And prepare your lids - put them in a bowl alternating right side to wrong side so they don't nest. Cover them with boiling water until you're ready for them.

Fill the jars with the cooked beans to about 1" below the rim of the jar. When in doubt, put fewer beans in. Now put 1/2 teaspoon of salt in each jar, then fill the jar with boiling water to 1/2 inch below the rim. The threads of the screw top are at that 1/2" point.


Wipe the rims of the jars with a clean cloth dipped in boiling water to remove any spilled liquid or food. Then, using tongs, gently place a lid on each jar and screw on the ring until it's a bit tighter than snug.

Put about 2" of water in the bottom of your canner, then carefully place the jars in (be sure to use a canning jar lifter.)

Here's where you really need to follow the instructions for your pressure canner and your canning guide. Mine has a dial pressure gauge, and according to Ball's Blue Book, I need to keep the pressure at 12 pounds for my altitude (4000 feet.) The pressure needs to remain at that level for one hour and forty five minutes for pint jars.

And I don't fool around with this detail. I watch the canner closely for that entire time, and often keep it a bit higher than 12 pounds. Once your canner is up to pressure, it doesn't take much heat to keep it there. During the canning time, I'm constantly adjusting the burner's setting lower.

After the required time, turn off the heat and let the pressure canner cool naturally. This isn't a step you want to hurry! If you need to run an errand or head off to bed, no problem. The jars can remain in the canner for several hours if you need them too.

Once all the pressure is released, carefully open the lid. Take out the jars with your jar lifter and set them on something heat resistant to cool. Leave a couple inches between the jars. As they cool, you'll hear the beautiful sound of the lids sealing with a "pop" or "ping!"

Beans aren't the only things I'm canning, though. Thirty pounds of apples from Washington made lovely applesauce. And next week, I'll work on vegetable soup.


 I'm also brushing up on my bread making skills - both yeast breads and sourdough. And yes, that makes my husband very happy.


I know it sounds like a lot of work, but for me it's worth it for the peace of mind. We live thirty minutes from the closest grocery store, and it's good to know we don't have to depend on making that drive when a storm is on the way.

How do you prepare for winter? Do you stock up with a few extra cans of soup or bags of rice?

And before we go, I have to share a couple wedding pictures with you!

If you remember, our son Benjamin married Erica Vetsch's daughter Heather back in July. It was a beautiful wedding and a wonderful day!

First of all, the BROTHERS! This is Benjamin with his two brothers and two brothers-in-law. A pretty formidable bunch! Don't you love those epic beards?


I love this picture of the "first look!" Such a sweet couple!


But this one is my favorite. Look at those faces! How happy can two people be?


*sigh* Don't you love weddings?




Jan Drexler has always been a "book girl" who still loves to spend time within the pages of her favorite books. She lives in the Black Hills of South Dakota with her dear husband of many years and their active, crazy dogs, Jack and Sam. You can learn more about Jan and her books on her website, 
www.JanDrexler.com.



 



8 comments:

  1. Oh, I love these pictures! And I've never canned beans, Jan, so you taught me a new trick. Go you!

    I have made hundreds of jars of jam for the farm stand this fall... and the shortage of jars is tough. We did find some 8 oz. jars, but the 16 ounce aren't available, so my customers are a little sad... but we're making do and making lots of little jars of jam until we close later this month.

    And Jan, like you, I like feeling ready for winter. The plus of that is that when the pandemic hit last spring, we were prepared for months between the pantry and freezers. And that was a good feeling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my pantry and freezer are full in October, I know I can relax. No matter what our winter looks like - snowy and cold, or mild and dry - we're prepared.

      Too bad canning jars are so scarce in some areas this year! Does that mean more people are canning? I hope so!

      Delete
  2. Well you all know that I lived out of my pantry for months - and it's because I started stocking up when rumors started coming out of China.

    I used to make my own jam, Jan, but I've never canned beans. My mother used a pressure cooker all the time, but she scared the life out of me with all her stories of what could go wrong if you didn't use it correctly. I'm sure these are much better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was clueless about pressure canners until a good friend invited me to her house and showed me how to use hers. That was almost forty years ago, and I still remember everything she taught me! But your mother was right - there are many things that can go wrong. The key is to follow the directions, pay attention to details, and don't rush through the process.

      By the way, no. Pressure canners haven't changed much at all!

      Delete
  3. Love the wedding pics!!! Like Cate, I'm scared of pressure canners. Way back when I canned tomatoes and peaches and pears using a water bath method on the stove top. I've been bitten by the store up food for the winter bug though. Must be the frenzied squirrel activity that has me wondering just what kind of winter is in store. I hate to rely on the freezer in case the hydro goes out in a storm, but I have started making up batches of soups and freezing portions. Plus I keep buying extra canned goods when I do my grocery shopping which includes all kinds of beans. I want to have enough food options on hand in case I can't get to a grocery store for a while -- whether because of the weather or COVID.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops -- meant to ask you about sugar. I think one of the reason I didn't pursue more canning options was the amount of sugar in the recipes -- even the veggies. Something to do with the preservative process? Or is that an old school notion? I read over your steps again and it doesn't look like you added sugar to the beans.

      Delete
    2. One of my favorite songs (by a local cowboy singer) has a line: "feelin' a little uneasy inside," as he's moving cattle to a sheltered location before a storm. That's what autumn does to me - until those cattle are under the pines (or the pantry is full!) I feel a little uneasy. It sounds like your squirrels are feeling the same way!

      And no, I don't add sugar to anything I can, except some jams and jellies, but I haven't made those for several years. Even my applesauce is only as sweet as the apples!

      Buying canned beans is a good alternative. They're ready to use right out of the can, with no soaking or cooking needed (other than heating them up.) So they're great for times when the power might go out.

      Should we call you "Kav, the storing squirrel" now? :-)

      Delete
  4. Jan, those photos are priceless!! They are so, so happy. I love love!

    Thanks for sharing the bean canning info! Would you believe I've never canned anything? I'm embarrassed to admit that! I really would like to try it sometime. It would be nice not to have to depend on grocery store canned beans when there's not time to cook dried beans. And with the weather y'all have, you sure need to be prepared!

    ReplyDelete