Monday, October 19, 2020

Stroganoff Soup

Jan here with a delicious recipe!

But first, let's head out to Custer State Park. We went on a beautiful Friday afternoon, and the sun...Oh! The sun was showing off!


Over the next couple months the sun will be heading down toward the southern horizon, and we can already see a HUGE difference from last summer!


Something about that angle brings out the rich colors of autumn...


And the shadows make the smallest details stand out...



Even the turkey's wattle shines!


The prairie dogs love these golden days.


But while we were in the park, the weather changed.


The sun was still making shadows, but everything became softer with the clouds moving in from the southeast.

And then yesterday, this happened!



Perfect weather for soup, don't you think?

This was a new recipe for us, and it is definitely a keeper!

Stroganoff Soup

The original recipe for this soup is from a blog called "Belly Full" The original sounded delicious, but I made a few changes (of course!)

ingredients:

2 Tablespoon butter
2 - 3 cups beef diced into bite-size pieces (a tender cut like round steak or sirloin is best)
1 cup mushrooms (optional - I didn't use them because I didn't have any)
1/4 cup diced onion
2 - 3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
4 cups beef stock
1 cup water
1 teaspoon beef bouillon or bouillon cube
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups small size pasta, like small shells

1/2 cup sour cream
2 Tablespoons flour

In a large pot (I used my 8 quart stock pot,) melt the butter, then brown the beef. Once the beef is browned on all sides (can still be pink in the middle,) add the mushrooms, onion, and garlic. Cook on medium heat until the onions are soft and the garlic is fragrant. (Yum!)

Add the beef stock a bit at a time, stirring the bits off the bottom of the pot as you go. Add the water, bouillon, Worcestershire sauce and pepper, and bring to a boil.

Add the pasta, return the soup to a boil, and cook on medium-high heat for about 10 minutes, or until the pasta is done.

Meanwhile, whisk the sour cream and flour together in a small bowl or two-cup measuring cup. Add some broth, about 1/4 cup at a time, and whisk into the mixture until you have about 1 1/2 to 2 cups liquid with no lumps.

When the pasta is cooked, add the sour cream mixture to the pot and stir a minute or so until the soup thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste.


This was so good! I can't wait to make it again!

Are you heading into soup weather yet?



Jan Drexler has always been a "book girl" who still loves to spend time within the pages of her favorite books. She lives in the Black Hills of South Dakota with her dear husband of many years and their active, crazy dogs, Jack and Sam. You can learn more about Jan and her books on her website,
 
www.JanDrexler.com.



16 comments:

  1. SNOW!!!!!

    Such gorgeous photos, Jan. Thanks for sharing.

    And the soup sounds delicious.

    It was finally soup weather here the other day, but it only lasted a day and then warmed up again.

    Did your snow last or is it too soon for that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This snow will hang around for about a week, according to the forecast. The ground is still warm enough that the roads are clear, but the temps are supposed to stay in the mid-30's and lower.

      And I love snow! This is our second batch of the year. :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh Jan I made something similar the other night and it was a total fail. Tried to sub yogurt for sour cream. Should have just stuck with heavy cream. The yogurt curdled :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, that was probably at my suggestion, Katie! I'm sorry the yogurt didn't work!

      Delete
    2. One thing with yogurt (and most milk products) is that they'll curdle at high temperatures. I try to make sure I add the sour cream/ yogurt or whatever after everything has cooked, and then just bring the food up to temp before serving.

      You'll have to try it again!

      Delete
    3. Oh Missy it wasn't you. We have been using it as a milk replacer for some time. This was just me being uneducated about it and also not super patient.

      Delete
    4. Whew! Glad it wasn't from my suggestion in Friday's blog. :)

      I, too, am impatient. I've curdled milk or at least caused it to separate out a few times.

      Delete
  3. Jan, the fall colors are gorgeous!! We're barely seeing any here. Just a few tips of leaves.

    And snow!! Wow. I can't imagine. It's supposed to get near 80 again this week I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I got those photos, because most of that color is gone now!

      We normally get snow in October, but our Labor Day snowfall was a surprise!

      We need the snow - we had a pretty dry summer into fall, and the winter snow is our biggest moisture producer!

      Delete
    2. I'd forgotten about Labor Day. That's pretty crazy!

      Delete
  4. Snow in October is just wrong. We're having tons of rain so most of our colour in on the ground now. :-( Still pretty though.

    I don't think I can vegetarian this soup. lol Luckily I have lots of hearty soups and stews to choose from. Autuman is my favourite season -- for the colour and the heartier comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about how to make this soup vegetarian as I was typing it out for the blog. I think black beans might be a good addition - adding both protein and body when you take out the beef. Use vegetable broth, and you've got it made!

      Snow in October works around here because it usually goes away and we have another few weeks of beautiful autumn weather. But I just heard that we're expecting an even bigger storm next weekend!

      Winter may be here for good!

      Delete
    2. Good thing you stocked the pantry early!

      Delete
  5. This sounds yummy, Jan. Beef stroganoff has always been one of my favorite comfort foods. I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I forgot to mention the snow. I'm sure it excited me much more than it did you, but I love it!

      Delete
  6. This sounds amazing. Like the best comfort food ever... and I love the bird against the snow! So perfect! And the pinecones in the leaves.... There is truly a beauty in the changing angles of the sun as the seasons roll on and I'm always impressed by that oblique light in fall and early spring because it's such a visual sign of things changing... and life going on.

    I'm looking forward to trying this, Jan!

    ReplyDelete