Friday, October 9, 2020

Mushroom Stroganoff (Vegetarian)

 Missy Tippens


Happy Friday! I wanted to share a new recipe that I tried recently with y'all today. I thought it would be great for meatless Mondays for our family. And vegetarians who love mushrooms would enjoy this, too!

The recipe is from a website that I love, Skinny Taste (click here for the recipe). I subscribe to their newsletter and received a link to this yummy, healthy recipe. And yes, I'm old school. I still print recipes!


We could not find crimini mushrooms, so I just used extra shiitake. I also used more mushrooms than was listed in the recipe (I used the whole containers), and it was great that way.

The recipe called for light sour cream, which I used. But I think I may just use plain Greek yogurt next time. If you're not limiting fat, you may even want to use regular sour cream. I ended up wishing this was creamier.

Another thing to consider... check the ounces on your bag of noodles! Our bag (I used whole wheat noodles) was 12 ounces. Since the recipe calls for 8 ounces, I did pull some of the cooked noodles out before adding to the sauce. But my math was wrong! (Don't ask.) LOL So I used too many noodles, which is why I think I felt it was missing the creaminess. So adding the correct amount of noodles next time might improve that.



I also thought the recipe was missing some seasoning. And I had even used chicken broth! So I'd suggest, if you're not a vegetarian, considering using beef broth. And maybe adding additional seasonings. I ended up adding more salt (Maldon as a finishing salt on the plate) and some Penzey's Sunny Paris.

Just realized I forgot to take a photo of the finished product! It was good, and I'll make it again with these adjustments. I know some of you may not like mushrooms, so I anticipate some negative comments. hahaha But for those who love them like I do, I suggest trying this as a healthy alternative to beef stroganoff.


www.missytippens.com

13 comments:

  1. Missy, I love mushrooms. A neighbor brought us a Puff Ball this summer that randomly grew in her yard. She brought two... and I shared one with Paul and Mandy. So good!

    This looks marvelous. Do you do meatless Mondays regularly? That wouldn't go over here with my carnivore... Although there are days that skinny Dave will just skip supper and eat two bags of chips. :) So he's not opposed to meatless if it's in a bag of Lay's!!!!!!

    I think this looks marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Ruthy that makes me giggle. Meatless Mondays with chips. Good thing Jacob doesn't read this. Lol he might get some ideas.

      Delete
    2. LOL, Ruthy! I could go for chips from time to time as a meal. :) Terry does frozen yogurt with nuts and dark chocolate and a cookie for dinner OFTEN.

      No, we don't do regular meatless Mondays. But I've been trying to do more vegetarian meals just to be healthy. So maybe every other week. With the empty nest, and Terry eating frozen yogurt, it's much easier to do vegetarian. Though I still want a good steak every so often! :)

      Delete
  2. I am making stroganoff this weekend! I might use this recipe with tweaks. Like adding meat. I have some plain greek yogurt to use up too. Thanks for doing the work for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, I think would be really good with some meat added! You could still have it loaded with mushrooms.

      By the way, I had it leftover last night for dinner and added a decent amount of plain Greek yogurt, and it was much better!

      Delete
  3. Well, I've never had stroganoff before because I'm vegetarian but now I can. It looks yummy. Did you have leftovers? Did they keep well? Or I suppose I could pare down the recipe. Thanks for sharing, Missy. I'll try this soon. Perfect fall weather fare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, yes, it I had plenty of leftovers! We've eaten it for about four more meals. Plus, the extra noodles! And it reheats well.

      Delete
  4. I'm the mushroom lover in our house, and this looks delicious! I might just have to divide the recipe and make single servings for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Missy, we almost never go meatless around here, however we do love our mushies, so I might have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. We do try to steer clear of pasta, though, so I'm wondering how this might taste with zoodles.

      Delete
    2. Hmmmm...I don't know how a creamy sauce would work on zoodles. But if you try it, let me know! It would be an amazing low carb meal without pasta.

      Delete
    3. I use zoodles with alfredo sauce, so that wouldn't be a problem. I guess I'm just wondering how they'd go with the mushrooms.

      Delete