Friday, October 23, 2020

Rescuing Produce that is Almost Ready for the Trash Bin

Missy Tippens

How many of you have got some wilted produce in your fridge that's on it's last legs? I went to prepare lunch the other day and decided to pull together a meal using floppy, wilted kale, and chopped cabbage that was over a week old. Plus, I had a container of leftover spaghetti noodles. So all that together solved my lunch dilemma. Veggie pasta!

I've made this type thing a million times. But I think this is the first time I used these two vegetables. Cabbage with pasta?? You bet!

I chopped a clove of garlic and heated in the skillet with olive oil. Then I added the kale (I ripped the leaves off the ribs and discarded them) and the chopped cabbage.



After looking at it, I realized I needed something a little saucier, so I added a can of diced tomatoes (the ones with garlic and oregano).


Then I added the noodles to heat and served with parmesan.


Here's where I'm getting real with you... At first, I got out my pasta bowl. Then I looked at that storage container the noodles had been in and weighed my options. I decided why not just eat in that used storage container to save dirtying a dish?! (Shhh, don't tell anyone.) :)


Pasta with kale and cabbage was a little different, but I liked it! I'd make it again if given the same ingredients. And the droopy kale ended up tasting just fine after it was cooked. A win! Plus, I saved a dirty bowl. A double win!


www.missytippens.com

4 comments:

  1. LOL! Missy, most of my lunches are eaten out of a storage container for that exact same reason. The cabbage in this has me raising my brow a bit. Cabbage and pasta? Then again, I don't do much pasta, so I could just go for the stir fry aspect. That's always good for cleaning out the vegetable crisper, right? And we almost always have cabbage on hand. A head seems to stay fresh forever. Okay, not forever, but longer than most veggies. Okay, now I want stir fry for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, I'm glad I'm not the only one!! I usually only eat out of the storage container if I've heated food in the microwave. But hey, why not use it for stove-top cooked food as well. :)

      Delete
  2. This is a great idea, Missy!

    I usually end up throwing that wilted produce away - but why not cook it? (As long as it's only wilted and not slimy or fuzzy!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Jan! This kale was less than a week old but had wilted. And the cabbage had been chopped and stored well. :)

      Delete