Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins - Blame Ruthy

Yes, I blame Ruthy for this post. Last week she shared a recipe for pumpkin chocolate chip cookies (you can find that here). I was skeptical to the say the least. I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to pumpkin. But I was curious. So when I was craving something sweet this past weekend I got to digging through my low-carb, sugar-free recipes and came across a Trim Healthy Mama recipe for Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins (recipe here). Since I had everything on hand, including some Lily's stevia-sweetened chocolate chips, I figured why not give it a try.
The results were pretty good. A nice, moist muffin with delicious pumpkin flavor.
However, I might skip the chocolate chips next time. It's not that they were bad, I just don't want anything getting in the way of me and that pumpkin flavor. At least not this time of year. Give me pumpkin or give me... Well, pumpkin.

After the first muffin, the dogs and I went for a walk in the woods.
It wasn't cool, but it wasn't blazing hot, either. Instead, it was just right. Nothing that would stop Maddie and Marvel from playing in the water.
Look at this tree covered in fern.
I just think that looks so cool. It gives the tree a lacy appearance. Very frilly.
Then it was back home for another muffin. 

What flavor combinations have made you curious enough to give it a try?

Award-winning author Mindy Obenhaus is passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. She lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, two sassy pups, countless cattle, deer and the occasional coyote, mountain lion or snake. When she's not writing, she enjoys spending time with her grandchildren, cooking and watching copious amounts of the Hallmark Channel. Learn more at mindyobenhaus.com

9 comments:

  1. I looked for a THM pumpkin muffin recipe a few weeks ago, but forgot to look on the website! I'm going to have to try these...but without the chocolate chips. Yes, I'm a pumpkin purist, too!

    Those ferns growing on the tree! I've never seen anything like that before! Cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I love seeing the fern on the tree bark. It just kind of dresses things up.

      I'm still eating on the muffins and they're still moist. I did start checking them early and only let them go until the tops sprang back when touched. What can I say? I don't care for dry cupcakes or muffins. I'm looking forward to the next batch sans the chocolate chips.

      Delete
    2. OH MY STARS.....

      #embracechange
      #althoughIcanteattofu
      #dontembraceallchange
      #NoTofu

      Delete
  2. Okay, I guess I'm the only one of us who would love the CC, but I think it would have to be the real deal. I don't like the taste of Stevia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate, I completely understand.

      Delete
    2. Cate, maybe that's part of it???? Or maybe we Yanks embrace our chocolate to a high degree!!!!

      Delete
  3. Mindy, once again, I missed your post! Thanks for giving the link for the muffins! I'm definitely a purist, so I'll try it without the chocolate. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pumpkin bread with mini chocolate chips are another favorite here! And I have a pumpkin muffin recipe that just sings with chocolate as a side hit... I wonder if it's a regional thing because breads with chocolate chips are big at our farm stand. Zucchini bread with mini chips is way more popular than its normal version... so maybe it's a Yankee thing? Chocolate in everything? :)

      Delete
    2. Ruthy, I don't think it's a north/south thing. I mean, my taste buds originated up north and I don't think I would have gone for this combination way back when either. I mean, pumpkin in perfect as is. Why do we need to chocolate it up? Is it because it's the only way some people will eat anything pumpkin? We are in total agreement on one thing, though.

      #althoughIcanteattofu

      #NoTofu

      Delete