Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Butter Pecan Cookies - More Sweet Treats Without Sugar

Cookies, cakes, pies, cobblers, dumplings, candy, you name it, I love 'em. I'm one of those people who feels as though a meal isn't complete until I have something sweet. Even if it's a couple shots of RediWhip, I just gotta have sweet. But that need can create a dilemma when you're trying to cut sugar and white flour from your diet. So, I've been experimenting with some low-carb recipes, like the Pumpkin Chocolate Chip muffins I shared last week. You can find the link to that recipe here.

This week, it was time for cookies. And since my husband LOVES pecans, I decided to try this recipe for Butter Pecan Cookies from Joy Filled Eats (click here for recipe).

Verdict? They were pretty good, despite a couple of errors on my part. That's what I get for multitasking. First I forgot to divide the sweetener and added all of it to the dough instead of half, then I failed to read the part about flattening the cookies. I discovered that about halfway through the baking time. So, I grabbed a solid spatula (as opposed to one with holes in it), opened the oven, flattened all the little balls, then let them finish baking. This actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise. The recipe said that the cookies were crisp but I'm not a big fan of crisp cookies, which was why I didn't flatten them too much. The result was a soft butter cookie. Though I will make sure I add the correct amount of sweetener next time.

Now for some just-because photos. Get a load of this fiery sunrise I caught on my way home from the gym one morning. 
And Little Miss came to visit a couple of weeks ago. We'd all gone to check on things where they've been digging for arrowheads and while we wandered, this little one had no problem occupying herself. 
If there'd only been some water around, I'm sure she'd have made a round of mud pies for all of us.

I don't think I'll be making mud pies anytime soon, though I'm certain I'll be trying out some more low-carb dessert recipes. Do you have a favorite low-carb treat?

Award-winning author Mindy Obenhaus is passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. She lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, two sassy pups, countless cattle, deer and the occasional coyote, mountain lion or snake. When she's not writing, she enjoys spending time with her grandchildren, cooking and watching copious amounts of the Hallmark Channel. Learn more at mindyobenhaus.com

8 comments:

  1. I have to try these cookies! I love butter cookies, and the sugar-free, wheat-free recipe is just what I need.

    That little miss digging in the sand sure is cute! My first thought, though, was that it still looks like summer there - even though we have sunshine in the forecast, we still have snow and frigid temperatures this morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, on that day that picture was taken, it did feel like summer. Today we are blessedly cooler. Upper forties this morning and we're looking at a high in the low sixties. Having lived in Texas, you know that means sweater weather for the natives, right? ;) That front that brought you the snow and frigid temps has dug deep. Our daughter in Oklahoma is dealing with ice. Snow is so much nicer and I have no doubt your view is absolutely gorgeous.

      Delete
  2. I saw the ice storm in Oklahoma!!! Oh, those are tough to get through, Mind-O!!!!! And I love butter pecan cookies. I am a party of one in that regard so I don't make them, but they are so good!

    We're busy closing things up for a long winter, like the squirrels and bears and other smart creatures only they don't have a 95% efficiency furnace.... so more's the pity on them! But they do have fur coats.

    I love the Texas pics. Thank you for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, I can tell you're getting ready to settle in for that long winter now that all of the pumpkins are gone. The good news for us on that, though, is all the Ruthy books that'll be produced during that season. ;)

      Delete
  3. Mindy, you've made me crave cookies! (especially those with twice the sugar!). ;)

    Gorgeous sunrise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, the good thing about these is that they're sugar-free so you can indulge without the guilt.

      Delete
  4. These sound yummy. I actually picked up a Trim Healthy Mama cookbook at the library today. Y'all have been talking about it for years so I need to see what all the fuss is about. I'm interesting in experimenting with alternate flours and I see this recipe uses coconut flour.

    Beautiful sunrise. You must walk up super early to go the gym! What a lovely after workout reward -- and no calories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, Trim Healthy Mama is a lifestyle I can live with and that's what's important. Do I splurge on occasion? Absolutely. And as long as I adhere to that lifestyle change the rest of the time, those splurges don't have an impact. As for the gym, I just go whenever I wake up. Sometimes it's at five, sometimes six or six-thirty. Now that hubby's retired, we rarely set the alarm yet, inevitably, wake up earlier than we used to. Go figure.

      Delete