Thursday, October 22, 2020

 Every now and again I have a logical thought and it happened this week!

I was making mashed potatoes for a dinner and I doubled the amount we'd need.... because I was going to make this easy peasy potato side dish the following night.

WHOA! Thinking ahead! WHAT?????

Life is so crazy here through September and October and it's not like we don't expect it. We just realize that to run a successful business, there are sacrifices and time to cook is one of them. Pretty soon there will be plenty of time for seven months. And there will be snow. And wind. And more snow. Jan understands this quite well!

And then we start the roller coaster ride again, but that seven months is my planning time. Planning time is the joy of finding absolutely wonderful squash and pumpkin seeds to grow, ordering supplies (and a local farmer put me in connection with grower supplies in Amish country! YES!!!!)

Mum orders... and that brings me to our 9 day "Grow Pink for Lisa" breast cancer awareness celebration next September. You all know that we lost our dear and beloved friend in August. Her second journey with breast cancer foiled science and heaven won a wonderful woman so next September we're hosting a 9 day celebration of pink, of Lisa, of awareness and my job/goal is to ensure that I have pink pumpkins, white pumpkins, rose-toned pumpkins, pink , white and rose mums, and finding the kinds and the planting schedule to make sure I can pull this off. 

We'll all wear Team Tydings shirts or pink shirts and we've got breast cancer bracelets that we'll give away with a donation bucket... and we'll talk about Lisa, about life, about joy and we will not cry!

Well, I'm a sap so I might, but I'd love to see every cancer patient have the love and support that our beloved Lisa got... because in the end, while the support is wonderful, the patient walks the walk. And it's a rugged path.

Back to potatoes!

This one is simple:

3 cups or so of mashed potatoes

2/3 cup Ranch Dressing

Shredded sharp cheese

Mix the ranch dressing with the potatoes. Put in a casserole dish (I sprayed mine lightly with cooking spray). Top with shredded cheese.


Bake at 350 for about half an hour... Serve.

STOVE TOP PHOTO BOMB!!!!!!!!!


If you have crumbled bacon or bacon bits, add them, but these are really good even without the bacon!

Now I'm back to story writing... and wishing you all a Great Thursday!!!!




Inspirational novelist Ruth Logan Herne just released her 61st book "Finding Her Christmas Family" and she's thrilled to have a lot more in the writing pipeline! Join her weekly here in the "Cafe", visit her website ruthloganherne.com, friend her on Facebook and/or write to her at loganherne@gmail.com. She'd love to hear from you!


10 comments:

  1. Ruthykins, THIS is going into my must-make-soon folder. My boys will love this. The girls will, too, but the boys HAFTA have their mashed potatoes. And yes, bacon will be a must. Such an easy way to dress up mashed potatoes and turn it into a casserole. And it's a perfect make-ahead dish. Simply assemble, stick it in the fridge and then back it shortly before it's time to eat. Love this! Okay, you scored big on this one.

    Oh, and I'm reading Sarah and Renzo's story right now. Well, not right this second, but you know what I mean. Those three girls are absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, this became a big family favorite and it's so stinkin' easy that it's shameful!!!!

      And yeah, perfect for make-ahead, for when I'm feeding a crowd of workers or just a couple of hungry men... Total comfort food. And I love the bacon addition!

      Oh, thank you for reading Sarah and Renzo's story! I love the girls!!! Chloe, Kristi and Naomi! :) They're so spunky and adorable!!!!!

      Delete
  2. What a brilliant idea to grow all things pink. Bet your displays will look spectacular. And what a beautiful way to honour a much loved friend.

    This potato dish sounds yummy -- and so simple even I can't mess it up. :-) Well, maybe we shouldn't count on that. When I go all creative in the kitchen strange results have been known to happen.

    Guess what I'm reading right now? Finding Her Christmas Family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Kav, I hope you love it! I love, love, love that story!!!! And it will be perfect timing to celebrate our love for Lisa.... and I will over-order everything pink to make sure it works, LOL!

      Delete
  3. Oh Ruthy do you think ranch powder would work? This looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, absolutely. I use that and either sour cream or mayo.... I have a bottle of HVR powder in the cupboard all the time. It's clutch!!!!!

      Delete
  4. This looks fabulous, Ruthy! Just right for a side dish, or to take to a carry-in dinner!

    And I can just see you pouring over the seed catalogs and perusing varieties of mums as you plan for next year's celebration. Those nine days will be a true gift for your community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Won't it be wonderful??? I ran it by Jeff to make sure it was fine and he was in favor of it so we're full steam ahead... and the bracelets that didn't come in in time for last winter's benefit will help someone else now. Sharing the blessings!

      Delete
  5. The potato recipe sounds perfect for busy days. And yes, cancer's a rugged walk, but I love your "Grow Pink for Lisa" plans. Our Lisa has been air-ambulanced back to her home province so she can spend her last weeks near her beloved ocean. (Her hospital room overlooks it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so happy to see that on Facebook, Carol!!!! I hate cancer... as do you... but I am so blessed by the wonderful blessings and people that it's brought into my life.

      But I still hate it.

      Delete