Friday, September 18, 2020

Easy Shrimp and Corn Chowder

 Missy Tippens

Hey, everyone! I know it's still hot in a lot of places like here in Georgia. However, last week, the humidity and temp were lower, and I felt as if I'd gotten an ever so slight hint of fall.

I also made chowder! 

Ingredients:

about 4 red/new potatoes, cubed (skins on)

1 pound of shrimp (peeled and deveined)

3 TBS flour

3 TBS butter

Seafood broth or Veggie broth (about 5 cups)

1 bag frozen corn (10-12 ounces) or fresh corn (cut off the cob)

2 cloves of fresh, chopped garlic (or used the jarred garlic like I usually do!)

Optional: chopped green onions (white part and a little of the green part)

Plain cream cheese (about 3 TBS)



Cook the garlic and green onions in the butter until softened. Add the flour to make a roux. Season with a little salt and pepper. Cook a couple of minutes, stirring it (to cook out the raw flour taste). Then whisk in the broth. Once the flour is mixed in, add in the cream cheese and whisk until smooth. (This was something new to me, and it made it really good!)

Now add the potatoes. Cover to bring back to a boil. Then remove cover and reduce heat. Simmer until potatoes are tender. Then at the end, add the shrimp and corn and simmer until shrimp are pink and opaque.

This turned out really good! My husband liked it better when we had it leftover with sliced links of smoked turkey sausage added. It made it a little heartier. However, I liked the lightness of it, even though it's creamy.

Now, the best part is to show off our new baby! My son and daughter-in-law got a puppy! I'm in love already.



In her toy basket. :)

Welcome to our world, Whitney! 💕


8 comments:

  1. Oh, stinkin' adorable puppy!!!! Be still my heart! And I love chowders, they're one of my favorite things. So hearty... but I'm with Terry, a nice smokey sausage in that would be perfect. :) Kind of like a creamy Jambalaya. So good! Now I have to scroll up and look at puppy again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the sausage added just the right touch of extra flavor.

      I love our new baby! Can't wait to see her again!

      Delete
  2. That is such a cute puppy! She looks so calm and sweet, but I know better! I'm sure she has her ornery moments. 😄

    I love chowders, and I agree with you on the cream cheese. It puts the "cream " in creamy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, you're right. She's wildly energetic! Then she kind of passes out and has to rest. haha

      You know, I've always just used heavy cream or half and half in chowders. But I really liked how the cream cheese worked out.

      Delete
  3. Ooohhh -- she has such a regal bearing. Look at her sitting up so proud. Princess Whitney. I guess you get all the joys of puppyhood without the training woes since you're a grandmama. That's the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, I thought that exact thing! She looks so regal! And yes, it's nice to be able to enjoy her without the house training. :) However, they said she passed that milestone about a week ago! No more messes inside. :)

      Delete
  4. Missy, that chowder sounds fabulous. I've never tried it with cream cheese either. Interesting.

    And Whitney!!!!! What a sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete