Monday, September 14, 2020

Whiplash Weather and Hot Chocolate

 Jan here, with some record-breaking weather news!

Two weeks ago, I shared this post: Winter Vegetable Soup, where I talked about how our weather was turning "fallish."

The next week, the high temperatures were in the high 90's - 100's!


And yes, that says our humidity was 1%. It happens in this semi-arid place!

But then this happened:


We had three inches of snow on Monday night/Tuesday morning. Folks in the higher Hills got around ten inches. Even in town, the official measurement was nearly an inch.

On September 8th. That's jaw-dropping early!

Believe it or not, our Labor Day weekend weather broke some records:

 - Daily low of 31°, breaking the 2014 record of 34°
 - Almost an inch of snow, breaking the 1951 record
 - Earliest freeze, breaking the record from September 11, 1921
 - And the big one - we set the national record for the fastest turnaround from a 100°+ day to measurable snowfall. The old record - three days - was set in September 1929 in Ardmore, SD. The new record? Two days! We went from 102° on Saturday to measurable snowfall on Monday night.

And this coming week, the forecast says we'll be in the upper-80's to low-90's. Does anyone else feel the whiplash?

So, what does this mean for us? Grilled chicken one day, chili the next, then a couple days later we have grilled burgers!

But since our nighttime temperatures are nice and cool, it's time to get back to my hot chocolate habit!

I've shared this before, many years ago, and in that post I called it:

Not Your Children's Hot Chocolate

This concoction is brewed cacao nibs, otherwise known as ground cacao beans.


The Crio Bru brand is available on Amazon, with tons of exotic varieties, but lately I've been buying cacao nibs from my favorite bulk food store in Shipshewana, Indiana.

A couple tablespoons of the cacao nibs and 12 ounces of hot water (and a French press or other brewing machine) is all you need to make a steaming cup full of chocolate goodness!


You want to let it brew for twenty minutes or so. I wrap my French press in a towel to keep it hot.


Then strain out the nibs and pour your cup full of chocolate!

I like mine plain, or if it was coffee we'd say "black." It doesn't NEED sweetener or cream, but you could add it if you want to!

This certainly doesn't taste like Swiss Miss or any other hot chocolate you might be used to, but it's OH! SO GOOD! And when you drink it straight like I do? Twenty calories. No sugar. No fat.

Can it get any better than that? I don't think so!



Jan Drexler has always been a "book girl" who still loves to spend time within the pages of her favorite books. She lives in the Black Hills of South Dakota with her dear husband of many years and their active, crazy dogs, Jack and Sam. You can learn more about Jan and her books on her website, 
www.JanDrexler.com.


6 comments:

  1. Jan, that is definitely weather whiplash. I remember waking up to snow the first week of October the first year we lived there, which sent my Texan husband into a tizzy, wondering what the rest of the winter was going to be like. But early September? Yikes! That was a pretty strong front, though. It even made it down here, though only the panhandle saw snow. Still, in September?

    I remember you talking about this hot chocolate before. I'm intrigued by it. Don't know if I'm intrigued enough to purchase the stuff to do it, however, if I'm ever up your way, I'll certainly have you fix me a cup. We can sit on your deck and solve the problems of the world. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan, that's insane weather whiplash!! I can't imagine snow right now!

    I would love to try your chocolate! However, I have a feeling I'd have to add some Truvia. :) I'm very curious, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I want to have more traditional hot chocolate, I brew a cup of this chocolate and add Truvia and about a tablespoon of cream. Delicious!

      Delete
  3. Wow -- that's taking extremes to the extreme! Bad enough to have snow so early but to have it zoom back up to super hot -- yuck! I guess gardening season is over for you guys. I'm still trying nurse a few tomatoes to ripen before we get frost the end of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our area is known for these extreme temperature swings!

      And the gardens survived, if the owners remembered to cover things up. If we hadn't had the snow, it would have just been our first frost. :-)

      Delete