Thursday, January 30, 2020

Turkey Pot Pie from Leftovers!

Oh mah stahs, I can't get ovah the commersheeyul Cate posted yestahday, straight from Boston!

I LOVED IT!!!!!

Oh I will smile all through the Super Bowl, thinking of this commercial, although I did see a really funny Bud Light Seltzer commercial on Twitter, too.... so we'll see.

Anyway, it's been a busy week here on the farm, unusual for mid-winter, but just how it rolls sometimes, so while I did a turkey breast for Sunday (like a real, proper Sunday dinner!), it gave me awesome Monday leftovers.... which I turned into a mashed potato-topped pot pie.

And it was easy and delicious and I served the leftover stuffing on the side.

Stovetop, by the way..... I got a box of 8 Turkey and 8 Chicken in November.

So here's the easy peasy:

Heat the leftover gravy or use a large jar of gravy and pour it into a 13 x 9 pan.

Thin gravy with about 1/2 water (so if two cups of gravy, one cup of water)



Add 1/2 10 oz bag (or the whole thing) of mixed vegetables.

Add about two cups of cut/chopped leftover turkey or chicken



Pop into oven....

Once hot you can top it with leftover stuffing or potatoes. I used potatoes and then kind of wished I'd used the stuffing because the bottom of the potatoes got soggy.... the stuffing holds its own.


And here was the final look:

See what I mean? The spuds kind of sank.... mushed.... now it tasted great and the family loved it, but if I'd reversed the order and used the stuffing on top, it would have been better.

But there is something about such a wholesom, old-fashioned dinner, total comfort food.  And here are some fun pics of our Make a Gingerbread House Day... Oh my stars, we are not artists, but we had so much fun!!!!

Goofy kids....
 Moms pressed into service, well out of their comfort zone!!!

 Boys having fun in a quiet nook...

 Watching Beth/Mom assemble the houses....


Miss MacKenzie home in time from gymnastics to do a couple of houses!

 And a train!!!!!!

It ended up being a really fun family project... and that's the beauty of it!

Until next week.... post-Super Bowl where I'm cheering for Patrick Mahomes and the Kansas City Chiefs, so all youse Midwesterners will be cheering with me, I expect!

Bestselling novelist Ruth Logan Herne is tucked into her very old farmhouse (with heat, this year!) and she's excited about the heat and about all the fun projects she's brought into 2020... and she loves talking to readers, so she'd love to have you follow her on facebook, visit her website ruthloganherne.com and/or email her at loganherne@gmail.com. She's a pretty regular joe, so don't be shy... All are welcome!

11 comments:

  1. Mmmmm turkey dinner! No super bowl here for us! We don't do football. However we are moving to the bigger town about 45 min away from us in a month and a half so the packing party will start Sunday instead. Does that still qualify for Superbowl snacks?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited about your new place! The pictures look fabulous!

      Delete
    2. Katie, every day counts for Super Bowl snacks! :) So the big move is upon us! And packing... Oh, sweet thing, I'm so excited for you guys! Keep us posted on everything!!!

      Delete
  2. Ruthy, this would be a perfect meal for a cold winter's eve. Or just anytime one needs some good ol comfort food. Yum! And it's so easy.

    Love the gingerbread houses/train. Oh, the memories those kids will have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, the memories are the best, aren't they? It's not like eating one of those was good because they're not tasty, LOL! And there was no time to make my own, and they still get dry and stale quickly, but no one cared about that. It was the fun of building and playing and decorating together. $24 for the three kits and a day full of fun. That's pretty reasonable in my book!

      Delete
  3. This is pure comfort food. YUM!

    My favorite part of your post, though, was the picture of the boys in their quiet corner. My boys would play like that FOREVER! One knee down, one knee up, engrossed the their world. Oh, my! Those boys will conquer their world one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could see them still doing that Jan!

      Delete
    2. Jan, isn't that the perfect picture? Off on their own, behind a couple of chairs, doing boy stuff. We'll have to recreate that picture in a dozen years when they're all grown up!!!!

      Delete
  4. Anytime is a good time for gingerbread houses. We made them in February one year because of some holiday snafu at Christmas time and it was such a hit my daughter had gingerbread house Valentine parties ever after. So cute with just read and white and pink candy -- and lots of heart candy to choose from. Ha -- wonder what she'd say if I suggested a Valentine gingerbread party for old times this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my stars, that is a GREAT IDEA!!!!!! Kav, thank you, I'd have never thought of that and I think I'll put it into a book! :) Perfect!!!!!

      Delete
  5. This is my kind of meal. I love things that are all mushed together. By contrast, my daughter doesn't want anything on her plate mixed together. Funny how we humans are so different.

    ReplyDelete