Thursday, January 2, 2020

Ringing in the New Year!

This dish has little to do with the New Year, but it's good no matter what year it is, so there's that!

I love broccoli/cheese/rice casserole. But I don't always love it.

Confession time: Sometimes it's kind of mushy slimy gunk.

And other times it's amazing!

So I wanted to come up with one that was amazing and I think that's what I did, but!!!! I started with leftover Alfredo sauce made with cream cheese and Parmesan, so that's where we MUST BEGIN! And I remember taking several photographs but... they do not seem to exist on my devices. A CHRISTMAS MYSTERY!!!!!!

Let's make the cream cheese Alfredo sauce first. I would double or triple these amounts to feed a family, this was downsized for this specific dish.

Melt over low heat:
1/4 cup butter
1/2 block Cream cheese, but up and melted with butter.
1 teaspoon granulated garlic

ADD:

1/2 cup Half-and-Half or Milk or Heavy Cream
1/2 cup chicken broth
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix the milk/half-and-half and chicken broth into the butter cheese mixture. Heat. Add Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Heat gently.

Okay, so that's the basic cream cheese recipe for Alfredo sauce. And I tweak it with more garlic and less milk if I want it thicker, but that's a preference thing.

Then add 2 cups of Extra Sharp Cheddar cheese to this and melted it into the cheesy mix.


I used leftover Basmati rice (a strong-grained rice makes a much better casserole) and leftover broccoli from a veggie tray...

2 cups cooked Basmati rice
2 1/2 cups chopped, lightly steamed broccoli

Mix together lightly. Add hot cheese sauce (amount desired, I was making two casseroles so there was extra here.) Mix thoroughly, but not squishing. No squishing broccoli allowed. It's just not nice.

Spray 7" x 11" pan with cooking spray. Spread casserole into pan. Bake at 325 until hot and beginning to "roast" around the edges.

This is a great side dish for any meal and KAV!!!! It's vegetarian-friendly (unless you add cooked, chopped bacon or ham, but I like it without any additions.)

There you have it, a wonderful, picture-less dish that everyone loved. Even a few of the kids loved it. With broccoli in it!!!

SAY WHAT????? :)

But I do have a few other pics to share! My youngest (a true Bumble) came home for the holidays and it was wonderful to see our Lonestar boy!







And these adorable nieces (one missing!) wrapped up a favorite doll to give to Lena for Christmas... Gifts of the heart are the very best, aren't they???





And Xavier found a quiet spot, twinkle lights, a quilt and a kitty....



And on the 27th, a monster-sized flock of birds (starlings, maybe????) invaded the back yard but I only got a quick pic before they moved en masse up the road. The tree shot was minor... there were thousands of them, covering the ground.... HITCHCOCK FRIENDLY!!!!! EEEK!



On the writing side of the beautiful season of remembering Christ's birth, I have just finished "Finding Peace in Wishing Bridge" and I can't wait for readers to get it next month! I hope you all love it! And I'm working on a new proposal for my agent, an absolutely fun group of stories where the past trips the heels of the present but I'm pretty sure that's what's meant to be!

Godspeed and wishing all of us a peace-filled, love-filled New Year!

Multi-published, USA Today Bestselling inspirational author Ruth Logan Herne avoids drama, loves happy endings, thinks everyone should love dogs and babies and she'll stand by that assertion because, well, she loves dogs and babies and little kids and sad teens.... Write her at loganherne@gmail.com, friend her on Facebook, visit her website ruthloganherne.com and she'd love to hear from you... or you can comment below!

10 comments:

  1. Yum on the broccoli and cheese combination! I've never used cream cheese in a sauce either. I'm boringly cheddar cheese predictable when it comes to cooking with cheese. Might have to mix it up a bit this decade. :-)

    I spent my New Year's Eve on an apple orchard, craving apple crumble so band I made it close to midnight, had it for a snack and then decided it would make a great brunchy breakfast too. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you spent your holiday thinking of apples and orchards and romance, Kav! :) You're so funny! I'm glad you liked the book!!!! And you know I never used to make Parmesan or Alfredo sauce with cream cheese, but my son-in-law's mother did it when she was visiting and it's a really nice addition. Something to try, right?

      And apple crumble has all the attributes of a great breakfast. You have my full support! :)

      Delete
  2. Broccoli, Cheese and Rice casserole was a staple when my children were young! I've always used a white sauce and melted cheddar cheese into it, but I'm going to have give the Alfredo sauce version a try. And cream cheese? YUM!

    I love the cherished doll present...a lot of love is wrapped up in that gift!

    It looks like you've had a wonderful week, Ruthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, we've had such a crazy fun, busy, family-filled few weeks that it's been kind of like a whirlwind, but because I really focused on getting stuff done in November, December came along and it wasn't as crushing as it can get with a big family and celebrations and concerts, etc. So I am rejoicing in Christmas but hugging January for its peace and quiet!

      Delete
  3. This casserole was super yummy! I give you permission to make it for me any time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a big fan of cream cheese but will have to give this a try next time for a church or family dinner. To much for one. LOL

    Precious how the older nieces blessed Lena. Precious memories to cherish.

    I'm looking forward to reading "Finding Peace in Wishing Bridge." What a fantastic series in a small town that care beyond measure for one another.

    Blessings for a wonderful 2020, Ruthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilyn, I'm so glad you stopped over here! Yay!!!! And yes, when the girls told me what they did, I was so touched by it. They gave from their hearts. oh, the best gifts ever!

      And I hope you love Jazz's story. I have loved writing it, and I've enjoyed tying those threads together for readers. Such a wonderful series to work on, Marilyn!!!!

      Delete
  5. I give up on commenting in Safari. It wouldn't even take my anonymous comment. So I'm not going to re-type the whole thing! I'll just say YUMMY. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Safari does that to me, too, and I think it's a deliberate thing between Chrome/Google/Safari and Yahoo... Like on my Chrome page it will populate 8 pages for me. NEVER YAHOO even though one of my business emails is a Yahoo account so I go to it at least once a day... and often more. But it never gets populated on the Google/Chrome browser or the Firefox browser. Isn't that weird?

      And my phone doesn't want me commenting on Blogger but I wonder if it will let me comment on Word Press? But then I can't comment on half the Word Press sites because it doesn't recognize me, even though I'm always signed in through Petticoats and Pistols.... It's like internal internet wars!!!!

      Delete