Monday, January 13, 2020

Scalloped Potatoes and Ham Lifestyle Hack

It's a constant struggle, isn't it?

I mean, look at this:


and this!



When foods like this exist in the world, how can these compete?


Please tell me I'm not alone!!!

I know that this struggle - curbing my appetite and training it to desire healthy foods - is a first world problem. Not that long ago (like less than a hundred years ago,) folks in the US and Canada didn't struggle with their weight. Our parents and grandparents ate sensible foods all the time and saved the goodies (a reasonable amount of them) for special occasions rather than a daily habit.

But we are swimming in sugar and simple carbs. They're cheap. Easy to fix. Easy to eat. Our taste buds think they're delicious! And for some of us, they are highly addictive.

For several years I've been trying - with not too much success - to eat simpler. Cleaner. More vegetable-rich, more quality protein, more whole grains. And yes, with the new year, I'm doubling down again.



I've made progress through the years - I'm much healthier. Less pain, less inflammation, fewer pounds, more energy. People comment on the health of my nails (and I have never had a manicure!) - they are one indicator of a healthy body. So I'll keep on keeping on.

So how do we change from the Standard American Diet to a healthier one? Gradually. It's a lifestyle change, not a sprint toward smaller size clothing and a lower number on the scale. 

However, it's hard to make a lifestyle change when you feel like you're denying yourself from ever eating your favorite foods again! A life without chocolate? No way!

I attack this ongoing struggle on two fronts:
1) I find new, healthy recipes that we like, and
2) I adapt old favorites into healthier versions.

But I don't live alone. Hubby doesn't have the same problem with carbs that I do, and he loves his white potatoes! Why should he suffer for my body's quirks?

The solution? An easy hack that anyone can do.

The other day, I wanted to make one of my favorite recipes. Ruthy's Scalloped Potatoes and Ham, a recipe she shared in 2012, became a family staple at our house! (You can find her recipe here!)

But at this point in my getting-healthier-through-food-and-exercise journey, I don't want to eat a lot of white potatoes. At the same time, the other person in our house doesn't want to give his up, especially when the substitute is cauliflower. :-)

So here's the hack. Take a piece of aluminum foil and fold it so that it's rigid and will fit inside your slow cooker. I folded the bottom of mine to help it stand up.


Then put one of those crock pot liners in your cooker, easing it around the foil to make two separate pockets.


Peel and slice your potatoes and prepare your cauliflower...

I think the cauliflower half of this recipe would
have gone better with fresh instead of frozen,
but I had this in the freezer and the grocery store
is 30 miles away!

Dice your ham and make your cheese sauce (see Ruthy's recipe.) Then layer everything in the slow cooker, the potatoes on one side and the cauliflower on the other.


Cook in your slow cooker for 4 to 6 hours on high, or 6 to 8 hours on low. Or you can put the two versions of the casserole in two small baking dishes in your oven, 400° for about an hour.

The result? Two happy people!

Are you working on eating healthier this year? Is it "again?" Or "for the first time?"

We're in this together!




Jan Drexler lives in the Black Hills of South Dakota with her husband and growing family. When she isn't writing, she loves hiking in the Hills or satisfying her cross stitch addiction.

You can find Jan on Facebook, Jan Drexler, author, or her website, Jan Drexler.com







10 comments:

  1. This is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant!

    I keep frozen cauliflower in stock all the time now so I can make that loaded cauliflower casserole, but I never thought of doubling down between potatoes and cauliflower and doing a side-by-side.

    Yay for this idea!

    Jan, I am fist-bumping you and cheering.

    And going straight back to brilliant! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, shucks. *kicks the floor*

      I can't take credit for this hack - I found it somewhere online. But it's great for the crock pot. In the oven, I just do two separate small casseroles (I think I shared how I do that with lasagna one time.)

      But taking this small extra step keeps me on plan and hubby happy. That's a win/win in my book!

      Delete
  2. Wink wink hint hint Jan! You have a million dollar idea! Let's get that mold made for a nonfoil version!! This is genius!

    We aka I am trying to get healthier too. First step-cut back on food from places other then home! I did make bacon sauted spinach, squash Mac and cheese and fish the other day! Trying to throw in those veggies someone else turns their nose up at ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one change that our move to the country has helped with. It's a lot easier to opt for supper at home when our pick of restaurants are a bit of a drive.

      Except for Lintz Bros. Pizza. Since the best pizza in the world is only a ten minute drive away, we find ourselves planning pizza night once a month. :-) Those are the nights that I don't worry about carbs or fats and just enjoy myself!

      Delete
    2. Oh how I miss small town living! Longing for the day I can say I'm not going to town! Soon hopefully!

      Delete
  3. That's pure genius, Jan! You gobsmack me. :-)

    I'm reluctant to say goodbye to all the Christmas goodies but I always start massively craving fresh fruits and veggies after Christmas so I think my body is trying to tell me something. It's hard to find tasty fresh produce up here in mid winter though. Been on a carrot, sweet potato and squash binge of late because they at least taste like what they are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fresh produce is always a problem for us in the winter, too. The stuff often freezes in transit (even in refrigerated trucks!) so we either have poor quality or none at all. So I buy it when it looks good, or I stick with frozen.

      But you're right about those winter root veggies! We binge on those all winter long. I absolutely LOVE parsnips (they need to be cooked though...not good raw!)

      Delete
  4. What a clever, amazing idea, Jan!! As Kav said, pure genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Missy. I can't take the credit for the idea, but I can take the credit for trying it and passing it on to you!

      Delete
  5. Clever, clever. Don't you love it when you find these brilliant ideas. I haven't jumped on the cauliflower bandwagon yet, but you're inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete