Friday, January 17, 2020

This and That

Missy Tippens

I've had such a crazy week that I haven't cooked much of anything. We've been eating out and having leftovers. So I thought I would just share a bit of this and that.

Look at these gorgeous flowers from church a few weeks ago. We have volunteers who make these amazing arrangements each week--sometimes with flowers from their own yards.


And these stunning poinsettias that my sister brought to my mom at Christmas. At first, I thought the red one was silk because it looks so perfect! They still look just as beautiful.



I also wanted to share my most recent kitchen fail. I made sourdough on a day that was way too busy. I had to leave the dough for several hours between foldings. And it turned into The Blob! It was flowing everywhere (especially in the back, where you can't see it in this photo)! haha


I went ahead and made the loaves, but they turned out really flat and heavy. A fail. I've learned not to make bread on a day when I can't attend to the dough!

One more thing. My daughter's boyfriend's mother made us a beautiful pound cake for Christmas. It was so pretty--snowy peaks! And sooo good! Pound cake is one of my very favorites. We really enjoyed the gift!


I hope to have a recipe to share next week. Surely life will settle down just a tad so I have time to cook. :)

www.missytippens.com

6 comments:

  1. Oh, that is a fancy bundt pan there! WHOA!!!!! I love it! And to get it to bake perfectly isn't easy because the cake is at different depths. So wonderful!

    And I love the flowers, Missy. I don't have a hand with flower arranging, but I can copy other people. :) That's the extent of it.

    Beautiful. Just beautiful.

    And I won't laugh about the dough because I've done the same thing so many times. It happens.

    Wishing everyone a great weekend... safe and snowy up here!

    And winter-cold, unlike the balmy 30 and 40 degrees we've been having, but I remember three years ago when it didn't get above 32 degrees for nearly 8 weeks and the snow was two feet deep, layered with ice, and ridiculous. So this year our January thaw has been elongated and that's okay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Ruthy! We were 65 degrees and sunny yesterday. Gorgeous! Today is cooler. It's only 50 degrees right now. That's winter in my book! ;)

      Delete
  2. Ohhh, Missy, that cake looks like something out of Frozen - which is exactly what we are this morning. All night I've been reminded of the lyric from the movie - "the wind is howling like this swirling storm inside."

    No snow yet (that's tomorrow), but the wind is howling for sure!

    Those flowers are all lovely. Thanks for sharing a pretty bit of nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate, we're starting to head toward more normal weather here as well. I've noticed a bit of wind. It's only going to be in the 40's tomorrow and into next week. I bit more normal for us in Georgia.

      Stay warm!

      Delete
  3. I love that flower arrangement -- very creative. I'm such a dunderhead when it comes to artful floral arranging. That's why I leave my flowers in the garden the way nature intended. lol

    And that cake!!! Wow! I mean, how on earth did she eve get it out of the pan in one piece?! I haven't had pound cake in decades (really!) Now I feel like I should hunt one down and see if they are as good as I remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, I could never make an arrangement that beautiful! I'm with you on leaving them in nature (or else getting a florist to do them for me). :)

      Oh, YES. Pound cakes are definitely as good as you remember. :)

      Delete