Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Comforting Tater Tot Casserole

Sometimes you just need comfort food. Yet often when those cravings hit, you don't want to spend a bunch of time preparing something that takes forever.

Enter Tater Tot Casserole.
When my girls were little (they're now all in their thirties), I used to make this at least twice a month. But I bet it's probably been more than twenty years since the last time I made it. I was reminded of it when my oldest daughter was here over New Year's and we had a lot of hungry mouths to feed and not a lot of time. She made her version. Everyone ate and was satisfied.

Fast forward to this past weekend. I wanted comfort food, but I was also in a bit of a hurry. Remembering the bag of tater tots in the freezer, I was inspired to make my version of this classic, hearty recipe.

Here's what you'll need:
  • 2 lbs ground meat (I used venison)
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup (if you don't have cream of mushroom, you're welcome to use another variety of cream soup)
  • 1 can diced tomatoes and chilies (aka Ro-tel)
  • 1 can corn, drained
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • salt 
  • pepper
  • 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or whatever you have on hand)
  • 1 32 oz bag frozen tater tots
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Spray or butter a 9 x 13 casserole pan, then dot with half of the frozen tater tots.
Set aside.

Brown ground meat with the diced onions.
Remove from heat and drain.

In a medium-size bowl, combine soup, garlic powder, Ro-tel, sour cream and milk and whisk until well combined.
Stir in the corn.

Add mixture to ground meat and onions, along with 1 1/2 cups cheese.
Stir to combine, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
Spoon mixture over the tater tots. Don't try to dump it all in and spread it, though, or you'll end up having your tater tots all together instead of spread out.

Top with remaining tater tots and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Bake for 35-45 minutes, until tater tots are golden and meat is bubbly.
This made me very happy. And it's perfect if you need a quick meal to feed the masses. You know, the ones who start trolling the kitchen around 5/5:30, asking, "What's for dinner?" You could even have some of these for dessert.
I made strawberry cupcakes for a baby shower and had a few left over. You can find that recipe here.

Now that we're nearly two weeks into the new year, things are relatively quiet here on the ranch. I'm plugging away on a proposal that's due the end of this month, preparing for the release of my February book, Her Rocky Mountain Hope, all the while keeping an eye out for that pesky Bertha who still keeps making her way into my yard. 


So tell me what's going on in your neck of the woods.



Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she's not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more a mindyobenhaus.com.

15 comments:

  1. Good morning, Mindy. Your tater tots reminded me of a video I saw recently where Brad Pitt and Jimmy Fallon are sitting in a bar/restaurant. Brad has a drink delivered to Jimmy "courtesy of the man at the bar." SO begins a game of one upsmanship as they deliver increasingly enormous drinks/foods to each other. Jimmy delivers a huge urn of tater tots to Brad.

    But you really had me with the strawberry cupcakes!

    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet that was hilarious, Mary Cate. And it sounds so like men.

      Delete
  2. This looks like a great casserole to take to a carry-in meal...or when you need to feed a crowd!

    And I love that cover! The new Love Inspired cover designs are gorgeous and really update the line. As much as I dislike change, I welcome fresh new looks when they're a lovely as this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention Bertha - I just have to laugh! She must enjoy your company (or Maddie's company!) We continue to host our herd of deer. One of last year's fawns comes right up to our patio door and looks in. It's the same one that is so curious about Jack, and I think the little guy (or gal) is looking for him.

      Delete
    2. Don't you just love having those deer right there, Jan. We can always tell our regulars from newbies, because any new ones are very skittish. The regulars step back, but usually don't run away when we step outside. None are brave enough to come into the yard, though. Probably because they know Maddie would chase them, so they stay on the other side of the fence.

      As far as Bertha, we've been flirting with a drought, so she's determined to go where there's green. Brat.

      Yes, I love the new covers also. I've seen some really beautiful ones recently, so the change is a good one.

      Delete
    3. Jan, that's funny about the fawn.... and sweet. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, Bertha! That's so funny! No gate she can't unlatch!

    And I need to make this.

    I've never had it.

    EVER.

    And it looks stinking amazing.

    So now I want it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, you know this recipe had to have originated while some mom with a bunch of kiddos to feed and simply checked the freezer and pantry to see what she had on hand. When I made it for the girls, I didn't add the Ro-tel, but I did add a can of mixed vegetables. There's so many ways you can go with this, but I like this version. And the corn adds a nice touch of sweetness. I bet your grandkids would love this.

      Delete
  4. And when I see deer, well... it's not pretty.

    Gone is the sappy Ruthy that says "Oh, look at those sweet babies!!!!" She has been replaced by a farm woman who says "Begone with you, Bambino! Those are my corn sprouts or pumpkin plants or cucumber vines..."

    I have little sympathy for the rabbits, woodchucks and deer these days.

    I'm like the old farmer in Fox and the Hound!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, wasn't he a hunter? In Fox and the Hound.

      My in-laws used to have trouble with deer coming in and eating my FIL's garden (he always had a big one) and my MIL's roses, but I've never seen anything to indicate they've been in the yard since we've been here and I can't help wondering if it's because have dogs. That said, if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't be so fond of them either.

      Delete
  5. Pass the cupcakes, please. :-) I love how you decorate them! I need to conquer my sloppy cake decorating this year.

    I haven't had tater tots since my kid was a tot! What a blast from the past. I might have to try a vegetarian angle to this idea.

    Nothing like have good country neighbours like Bertha to brighten up your day by volunteering to mow your grass! Bwahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, we can share cupcakes anytime. Just gives me an excuse to make more. BTW, Bertha rarely brightens my day. She creates more work for me. However, Maddie is becoming quite the cow dog. We say "go" and she's on it.

      Delete
  6. Oh -- and congrats on the new release. I just ordered it. Love the cover design changes. So many great books in the February line up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I can't wait to hear what you think of the book, Kav. I'm giving you a tissue alert, though. I love the new covers, too. Love seeing them pop up on Facebook. Such a nice change.

      Delete
  7. Mindy, I'm sorry I missed your day! This looks SO good! I LOVE tater tots. I'll have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete