Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Kale Salad for Staying Healthy?

On Monday, Jan posted about healthier eating. That's been on my mind as well. 1/3 of my students were out sick today, so I definitely am looking for healthier foods to hopefully ward off illness.

I've also been eating a lot of comfort and convenient food. The problem is, though it's convenient to make, and comforting to eat, it leads to a not so comfortable feeling when the clothes get tight and the stairs get harder to climb.

When your body starts balking at cookies and actually is craving green stuff - you know it's serious!

So tonight I decided to try something health(ier). I've actually been looking forward to it all day.

I started out with my go-to salad base - Glory kale that I blanched and chilled.



Next up - some leftover (takeout) beef brisket. I need the protein after a day with over 90 middle schoolers!



I saw frozen beets at the supermarket and decided to give them a try because beets seemed to go with steak in my salad!




Mandarin oranges - because all the sick kids means I need Vitamin C in megadoses.




Pomegranate arils - because I love any excuse to add them in. Love me some poms.

Some people think these are a lot of work, but honestly, it took me 5 minutes to turn this



into this



Sunflower seeds - I just love the crunch these give and they have a whole boatload of nutritional goodness. (How's that for being specific?) Also because my local store stopped carrying my favorite brand, so I ordered through Amazon. I guess I didn't read carefully enough because I got a huge bag with lots of smaller bags inside!






Confession time -  I added croutons because - well I love croutons and (mostly) everything else is healthy.





And - VOILÁ




And just in case that's not enough to ward off the assorted germs, I picked up this at the drugstore. Seemed worth a try!










10 comments:

  1. Applause!!!! Applause!!!!!

    I have salad stuff in my fridge so I reach for that this month instead of COOKIES!!!!

    Broccoli slaw and cukes and cheese and sunflower seeds. No dressing, just a tiny drizzle of olive oil and black pepper.

    And workout time (even if it's lame) every day.

    I think staying in some kind of shape is crucial to us as young moms and as older moms. Who's going to run the ship when the captain is down?

    SCARY THOUGHTS like that keep me motivated.

    :)

    Thank you for this reminder, Cate! And 90 middle schoolers is amazing, isn't it? There's inspiration right there!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ruthy, 90 is making me feel every day of my many years!!!!

      I love cookies and cake, but I don't love how I feel after I eat them. Trying to remember that.

      Delete
  2. You win the prize for most creative salad maker, Cate! I've never used frozen veggies in a salad -- would have thought they'd thaw to mush. I guess it depends what kind of veggie it is. I've switched from salads to root veggie/ squash bakes because the fresh salad stuff is so yucky this time of year. You're expanding my salad ingredient horizons though.

    Ugh to the germs swirling around you! May you be blessed a vitamin energy field that will protect you from them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kav. I love that image of a swirling vitamin energy field!

      Delete
  3. Ah, the greens! Kav and I have the same problem with fresh greens, so all of mine are frozen these days. But the thing about kale is that it's hardy, unlike spinach or lettuce. I'll have to put it on next week's grocery list.

    I love some chopped kale in a veggie-rich bean soup. YUM! And sauteed frozen spinach with my eggs in the morning. Double YUM!

    And that Vitamin C - so important this time of year. Supplements do help, don't they? I take Airborne whenever I'm going to be with groups of people (the grocery store, church, Bible study). I've only been sick once in the last year, when I would normally have at least two major colds/fluish stuff every winter.

    Bless your time with those middle-schoolers! Maybe they'll give you some of their energy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to use EmergenC but there was too much sugar in it. I've been snacking on mandarins because they're so rich in Vitamin C.

      Delete
  4. Yes, tis the season to eat healthy, Mary Cate. Except I just want comfort food. Fortunately, homemade chicken soup is comfort food AND it's healthy, so there you go. We're warm this week, but I still can't get into salads. Next week will be cooler, so I've got a different soup planned for every night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just saying to my daughter that I haven't been able to get into soups this year, but I'm going to try one tomorrow for next week's blog.

      Delete
  5. Mary Cate, I'm a day late! But I know exactly what you're talking about. Sometimes I just start craving healthy, colorful food! Often, it's after seeing chefs on TV cooking. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe if I watched more chefs on TV, I'd be inspired more!

      Delete