Friday, January 10, 2020

Pasta Cooked with Frozen Veggies

Missy Tippens

Is it really Friday already? I'm sorry I didn't put my post up in time! You're getting the thrown together version written on Friday morning. :) Plus, I forgot to take photos of this dish, and the leftovers are already gone.

But, it was good! So I'm sharing anyway.

I was throwing together a meal at the last minute the other day (um, like I always do). I wanted to make some sort of pasta, and wanted to add a vegetable to it to try to pretend it was at least a little bit healthy  The cupboard was pretty bare at the time, so I went digging in the freezer and found a large bag of chopped kale that I had bought to use in soup.

Then I had to make a decision whether to cook the kale in the microwave while the noodles were cooking or to possibly cook it in the skillet with olive oil to make the sauce.

As the water started boiling, I made a quick decision to just toss it in with the noodles! So I added the frozen kale to the boiling water. Once it returned to a boil, I added the noodles.

When the noodles were done cooking, I drained them as usual. No kale was lost during this procedure! :)

I have a pasta pot, and its lid has drainage holes and locks to the pot so you just turn the pot upside down. The chopped kale was large enough that none of it drained off. I love this pot! If you don't have one, you need to buy one.


Screen shot of the pot at the link below.

Click here to check out a similar one (there are no affiliate codes. I'm just sharing something I love). I bought mine probably 10 years ago at the grocery store, of all places. But it's made a lot like this one.

Once the noddles/kale were drained, I tossed them with olive oil and added black olives (however, I decided the recipe needs kalamata olives instead for more flavor). Then I topped with parmesan cheese. A very simple, tasty dish!

Enjoy!

www.missytippens.com


11 comments:

  1. I'm always craving pasta in the winter. Something very comforting about a bowl full of steaming pasta! I love that pasta pot! Have never seen anything like it. Must check out the kitchen store down the way and see if they have something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, I find it very comforting, too. Of course, parmesan cheese is also required. :)

      Delete
  2. Missy, sometimes the lack of stuff is the mother of invention, isn't it? And what a cool pan! I love it!

    Pasta and winter are a wonderful pairing. I'm a huge fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, I love how I can make a virtual one-pot dish this way. :)

      Delete
  3. I've cooked greens with pasta before, and it works so well!

    But what really caught my eye was your pasta pot. I had told myself that I have every kitchen gadget I'll ever need...and then I saw that. And now I'm convincing myself that my thirty-five year old Tupperware colander is ready to be replaced. Or at least it's time to get her a companion to do some of her work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, the great thing about this is less to wash, obviously. However, I have never liked having my colander sitting in the sink when I pour into it because the water can back up, and I feel like that brings sink germs up into the pasta. It's probably me just being a germaphobe, but I've always held my colander up (which requires either help or a one-handed grasp for each--which is nearly impossible) or I've rested it on the sink divider. The main colander I use for produce actually has pretty high "feet" which helps with washing vegetables and such. But pouring a huge pot of boiling water was a dilemma. haha So this pot has fixed my problem!

      Delete
    2. I just realized that my germophobia shows up in the fact I'm worried about germs in boiling water!! LOL

      Delete
    3. Oh no, Missy. That's not germaphobia! It's just common sense. I have the same problem, so I usually drain half the water, let it go down and then drain the rest.

      That sink back-up...I'm not sure even boiling water would take care of it, LOL!

      Delete
    4. Jan, I'm glad to hear you agree. :)

      Delete
  4. Your pasta dish sounds delicious, Missy.

    And I love the pot!!!! The one you linked is by Bialetti. Both houses we stayed in during our Maine adventure had Bialetti pots. I really liked the brand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate, that's so cool! I wondered if it was a decent brand. It's good to know.

      Delete