Wednesday, January 8, 2020

My New Year Began in Maine

As my fellow cafe members know, I got stuck in Maine when my car broke down. A friend said it sounded like the plot of a Hallmark movie. Alas, it was not so pleasant.

But there were some highlights, like getting to spend an extra week with my daughter. She and I made a collard greens and black-eyed peas recipe for New Year's Day. It was so simple that I wanted to share.
Note: this is adapted from a recipe she found online.

First we sautéed some red onion and garlic. To that we added vegetable stock (not too much - maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup). Once that had simmered a bit, I added a mix of greens - some julienned collard greens and one of those packaged mixes of greens including kale, spinach, beet greens, etc. Simmer for a few additional minutes, spritz with some lemon juice and serve. We served then with some warmed up black-eyes peas, but this was so tasty that it would make a great side for anything.


You can see we made my favorite sweet potatoes with maple syrup, pecans and pomegranate seeds.




I thought I'd share some of my pretty Maine photos.

The Christmas tree in downtown Portland.

I loved this house. It's hard to see from the photo, but each of the front windows had a gorgeous tree lit with golden white lights, and each window had a candle.



This was the storm that was supposed to give us 1 - 3 inches and then turn to rain. We ended up with over a foot. Treacherous driving, but it was so pretty.
















And then there was this - the snow that greeted me on my first day back at work.



Happy New Year, everyone. I hope 2020 brings you bountiful blessings.


Today would have been my mother's birthday if she hadn't passed last March. I'd appreciate a prayer for Joan if you have a minute today.

9 comments:

  1. Ah, a happy heavenly birthday to Mama... God bless her and you, Cate.

    And that snow is stunning. What a pure look at New England winter, like a movie set but I know that car trouble and being away from our home base is a rough, rough road. Wishing you nothing but good things in 2020! Thanks for sharing this glimpse of Maine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruthy. With everything going on, it was hard to stop and relax, but I kept trying. It was lovely to sit by the window and write as the snow fell.

      Delete
  2. Happy heavenly birthday to your mom!

    It's always important in the middle of a stressful situation to look at the positives. Getting to spend extra time with your daughter was probably the best way to spend the new year! I like the idea of the greens, but black eye peas intimidate me. Maybe because I don't care for regular peas? Or do they taste more like a bean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie. Definitely taste more like beans than peas. I used canned (because we were shopping the night we also had to put the kitty to sleep). I found them in the aisle with all the other canned beans.

      Delete
  3. If you don't write a book using your "stranded in Maine" experiences, someone else will (I call dibs!) As frustrating and horrible as that time was for you, I'm so glad you were able to spend extra family time together.

    And I'm not sure why I've never had black-eyed peas and collard greens for New Years. Yankee stubbornness, I suppose. But your plate looks fantastic - the combination of colors is beautiful. Just the way to start the new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Jan. I'm still a little too close to the situation.

      Delete
  4. What gorgeous photos, Mary Cate. Snow like that is always so pretty. And I'm glad you got the extra time with your daughter so you could enjoy it together.

    Okay, I'm still a little surprised that a couple of Yanks were eating black-eyed peas. It looks like a very southern dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that's what vegan does to Yanks, Mindy!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete