Tuesday, January 7, 2020

My New Year’s Resolution Banana Bread with Laurel Blount

Mindy here, and I'm pleased to have my friend and fellow Love Inspired author, Laurel Blount, in the kitchen today. So without further ado, take it away, Laurel.

I’m a dyed-in-the-wool planner, so I love making New Year’s resolutions. Keeping ‘em? That’s a whole different story. Like all of you, I’m usually running in about six different directions, so I’m always looking for things to do that fit more than one of my goals.

This year (among other things) I’d like to:
  • Feed my kids less store-bought, over-processed food
  • Pinch some grocery pennies
  • Save time
  • Invest more in my most treasured relationships
This fabulously luscious banana bread ticks all these boxes. (Unfortunately, it doesn’t fit my “get some of these pesky pounds off” resolution, just so you know. But hey, nothing’s perfect!)

Like all of us who’ve enjoyed a few too many Christmas goodies, I’m buying more fruit these days. I’m always a sucker for discounted bananas—especially when they’re barely speckled and have just been dumped in the discount bag because they’re strays that have fallen off the bigger bunches.
Of course, before you know it, my lovely yellow bananas are looking more like this:
That’s when I pull out my trusty banana bread recipe. Originally published in a Taste of Home magazine as “Best Ever Banana Bread” I’ve tweaked it just a bit to make it work for me.

For this recipe you’re going to need: 
  • 1 ¾ cups all purpose flour
  • 1 ½ cups sugar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 2 ripe bananas, mashed—should equal about a cup
  • ½ cup vegetable oil (I use ¼ cup vegetable oil and ¼ cup applesauce. You can also substitute applesauce for all the oil. That changes the texture of the loaf a bit, but it’s still yummy!)
  • ¼ cup plus 1 tbsp buttermilk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts 
Stir together flour, sugar, salt and baking soda. In a separate bowl, mix eggs, bananas, oil, buttermilk and vanilla, then add it to the dry ingredients, stirring just until it’s combined.

Fold in the nuts and pour into a WELL-greased loaf pan. Bake at 325 for about an hour. (Baking time varies, so check it by poking the middle with a toothpick. When it comes out clean, it’s done.) I usually have to slip a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen it a bit before turning it out on a wire rack to cool.

These ingredients make one lonely loaf, and the original recipe warned that it “didn’t double well.” However, the first time I made it, I had a lot of sketchy bananas on hand, so I decided to live dangerously. It doubled just fine, and now I often triple or quadruple this recipe. This saves me tons of time. It also freezes beautifully, and I love that! I can easily thaw a loaf for an impromptu coffee chat with a friend, take one as a last-minute hostess gift, or just pull one out of the freezer to surprise my family with a favorite breakfast on a busy morning.
So, there you go! Home-baked goodness, family time (since I recruit my children to be banana mashers and walnut-choppers), penny pinching (no wasted bananas and fewer overpriced prepackaged breakfast foods), and a convenient way to comfort, bless and connect with my family and friends.

What about you? What’s on your agenda for 2020? Have any tried-and-true tips or recipes you’re willing to share? I’d love to hear!

Mindy again, with a sudden craving for banana bread. Be sure to check out Laurel's latest release, A Rancher to Trust. I'm finishing up this book right now and I'm going to be sad to see it end. Definitely a page-turner, and one you need to check out.


Searching for forgiveness…and a future.

Suddenly a husband…and a father?This bachelor is ready to claim his instant family.

After learning his ex-wife isn’t so ex after all, rebel turned rancher Dan Whitlock is determined to prove he’s a changed man…but Bailey Quinn is just as set on finally ending their marriage. When tragedy makes Dan the guardian of little orphaned twins, he and Bailey are drawn back together. But can she forgive the past and open her heart to the family she’s always wanted?

Get your copy here!




Laurel Blount lives on a small farm in middle Georgia with her husband, their four children, and an assortment of very spoiled animals. She divides her time between farm chores, homeschooling, and writing. She's busy, but she's never bored!
Laurel writes inspirational contemporary romance, and A Rancher to Trust is her fourth title for Harlequin’s Love Inspired. Whenever she's not working, you can find Laurel with a cup of tea at her elbow, a cat in her lap, and a good book in her hand. Stay in touch by subscribing to her monthly newsletter, full of news, down-home recipes and fun giveaways!



12 comments:

  1. Good morning, Laurel. Ahhh, now you've got me craving good home-made banana bread. I had some last week from a bakery, but it just wasn't the same.
    I have a favorite recipe too, developed years ago by a friend who wrote a cookbook. She had bought a house that came with a huge industrial stove. She decided a stove like that required serious cooking lessons, so she signed up to learn from the owner of a gourmet shop in town. They ended up writing the cookbook together.

    Hsppy New Year and good luck with those noble resoiutions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Laurel, Mary Cate. It's wonderful that your friend viewed that stove as something that shouldn't be wasted and took steps to learn. I can't imagine writing a cookbook, though. That's amazing.

      Delete
  2. Good morning, Mary-Cate!! Wow--a big industrial stove. I would love to have one of those--and I love the idea that it propelled your friend to take those cooking lessons and actually write a cookbook! That's amazing. Wishing you a wonderful and blessed New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Laurel! I think you're going to have us all craving banana nut bread. Though I may have to settle for a loaf of pumpkin bread I have left in the freezer.

      Thank you for joining us at the café today. It's always a joy to have you. And just so everyone will know, I just finished reading A Rancher to Trust and I couldn't put it down. It's a wonderful story I highly recommend.

      Delete
  3. Aww, thanks, Mindy!! I love visiting here at Yankee Belle--and banana bread or pumpkin bread--doesn't matter--as long as you're enjoying it with friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm joining the craving banana bread crowd. I'll take mine with chocolate chips though because a little chocolate never hurt anybody, right?

    I have a culinary question for you since you seem to be in the know. About vegetable oil and baking. I only eve have olive oil on hand. Can that be used for baking? Or can I just melt butter and add that? I've heard of the halving the oil with applesauce trick. Do you know if you can do that with recipes that call for butter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kav--I've never added chocolate chips to my banana bread, but that does sound pretty awesome! I bet my family would love it! As far as olive oil goes, it depends. Sometimes olive oil adds a taste that I don't like in sweet baked goods, so I often choose a lighter flavored oil, such as sunflower. I haven't tried melting butter, but it seems as if it would work! I do think you can substitute the applesauce for pretty much any oil or fat, including butter. Sometimes, especially in things like banana bread, I substitute applesauce for all the fat. It makes a slightly chewier loaf, in my opinion, but it is still really good! I'd experiment and see how it turns out!

      Delete
  5. Laurel, I'm sorry I missed your post today!! I was out all day and just thought to check. This looks so good! I love banana bread, and you've given me a craving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Missy! No worries at all--so glad you popped by! We love banana bread too--it's such a good, simple treat. No matter how many loaves I make it never lasts long around here!

      Delete
  6. Laurel, this looks marvelous... I will try it. I love banana cakes... it's one of my faves. And I'm am always looking for a banana bread recipe that I will love forever, so I'm trying this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love this recipe, Ruthy--I'll be interested to see what you think about it! Your mentioning banana cake reminded me--years ago, I made a banana cake with a caramel drizzled icing. Wow that was good--but I've lost the recipe. I need to go googling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooooh, this is going to be my family's new favorite! Thank you for sharing, Laurel!

    ReplyDelete