Friday, January 3, 2020

Soupy Pinto Beans with Ham

Missy Tippens

I don't know about y'all, but sometimes I crave something wholesome that reminds me of childhood. For me, it's pinto beans and cornbread, something my dad loved and made often. He always used canned beans (Luck's). But when I got a craving on Sunday, I had plenty of time and decided to use a bag of dried beans.

I used the method of boiling for two minutes, then taking the pot off the burner and letting the beans sit for an hour. Then I rinsed them and put in a Dutch oven.

I also added our leftover Christmas ham and ham bone (Honey Baked), onion and enough water to cover it all well. I like my beans soupy!



I let everything simmer for a couple of hours. Then I seasoned it with homemade seasoning salt.

The meal was exactly what I was craving! Filling and yummy and reminding me of home. And the pot of beans gave us several meals this week. We finished it off last night with grilled cheese sandwiches (another comfort food in my household).



I'm sure I'll want beans or bean soup again soon. I have a bag of dried navy beans just waiting. :)

P.S. Be sure to check out my newly re-designed website!

www.missytippens.com

11 comments:

  1. I have not made bean soup this year, and now I must. Missy, this looks wonderful and just the ticket for our chilly, gray and very long nights here in the north. I can almost smell this cooking! And I'm back to eating healthy, and this fits the ticket. Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, when Michelle got home, the first thing she said was how good the house smelled!

      Delete
  2. This sounds wonderful! After all of the rich, calorie-laden food of Christmas, I always crave good, everyday food.i cooked great northern beans on New Year's Day because my husband favors them over pintos but I am a "brown bean" fan! Happy 1st Friday of 2020.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, I grew up having greens and black-eyed peas on New Year's. But this year we just at leftover pintos. :)

      Delete
  3. Missy, this dish is super comfort food at our house, too! I cook the dry beans in my Instant Pot, then finish off the soup in the slow cooker. I'll have to use my cast iron Dutch oven the next time - low and slow is the way to do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I've also used my IP for beans. So much quicker!

      Delete
  4. Thanks, Missy! This sounds SO yummy (and easy, too!). When I was a little girl, one of my very favorite meals was beans and cornbread. My Mama always used Great Northern beans, and to this day I still LOVE that meal! But pinto beans are also a favorite (okay, ANY kind of bean is yummy to me, LOL). I'm sure your kitchen smelled wonderful while this simmered on the stove!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti Jo, I'm a bean lover, too. Any kind! In our household, we would crumble the middle of the cornbread into the beans. And then we'd spread butter and add honey to the crust of the cornbread. SO GOOD!

      Delete
  5. I'll have to try this! I have some dried pinto beans and a lot of ham leftover from our New Year's Day dinner. Perfect timing!

    ReplyDelete