Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Revisiting a Simple Dessert

Since I've got nothing new to share with y'all today, I went back into the archives and found not only adorable newborn baby pictures, but a yummy classic dessert--Cherry Yum Yum. Let's have a look.

Mindy here, fresh off the heels of ten-day visit with our brand new granddaughter, where I, hopefully, helped her and her mama adjust to their new life together. 
If you've ever had children, you, no doubt, remember those first days at home with your newborn. The joy of getting to know one another, adjusting to each other's schedules... Not to mention the sleepless nights. Fortunately, Grammy's an early riser, so she took advantage of some sweet time the baby while Mom got some much-needed rest.
But before I left, we took time to celebrate my SIL's birthday and one of his favorite things is Cherry Yum Yum.
Personally, I think that's a rather strange name for a dessert, but I wanted to make the boy happy.

Actually, this recipe has been given a few other names over the years. It's been around for a while and is so easy to make. The hardest part is waiting for it to chill.
To make it, you will need:
  • 3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted (1 and 1/2 sticks)
  • 3 cups graham cracker crumbs, divided
  • 2 packets Dream Whip (Yes, they still make that stuff!)
  • 1 cup milk
  • 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 cans cherry pie filing
Mix melted margarine and 2 1/2 cups graham crackers together and press into the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
Beat Dream Whip and milk until soft peaks form.

In a separate bowl, blend cream cheese and sugar.
Add cream cheese mixture to Dream Whip.
And mix until smooth and creamy.
Spread over the graham cracker crust.
Top with pie filling and remaining graham cracker crumbs and put in refrigerator for a minimum of 3 hours or overnight.
Tried and true. Simple and delicious. 
The SIL was one happy camper. However, I think the creamy filling might have tasted even better with a SECOND 8 oz. brick of cream cheese added. I'll have to try that next time.

On my drive back home, I couldn't help noticing how winter had settled over the Texas landscape.
And while there's no pretty snow to look at, the land is at rest. That time between harvest and new growth. Think about that. Don't we all need some time like that?

I have to say, after all the chaos of 2017 and the frantic rush to get into the big house before the holidays, it was nice to have some time away. A time to be still and stare into the face of one so pure and completely innocent.
Unspoiled by the world.
Life in its purest form.

Goodness, a yummy dessert and an adorable baby. I don't know about you, but that just about makes my day.
 

So what's going on in your world these days?


Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she's not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more a mindyobenhaus.com.

11 comments:

  1. Oh, this looks so wonderful... and I have Dream Whip in the cupboard because with all the amazing things I make from scratch, half of my kids still love Dream Pie... instant pudding and Dream Whip (although I've found that a 12 oz. container of Cool Whip works just as well) in a baked pie shell. It's like chemical upon chemical and they love it!!!!

    I must try this, Mindy. The one thing I've found is that if you use Dream Whip or Cool Whip, the consistency stays true-to-form for longer than if you use sweetened whipped cream. That breaks down quicker and messes with shelf life, but with something this delicious, shelf life won't matter!

    AND THAT BABY!!!! Oh be still my mama and grammy heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, truth be told, I could eat an entire tub of Cool Whip. And you are correct about the way it and Dream Whip hold their form better than real whipped cream. I guess that's why they're still around. There are some things there's just no replacement for.

      Delete
  2. Mindy, thank you for the chance to revisit those sweet SWEET baby photos. Oh, my heart.

    But this made me laugh - 2 packets Dream Whip (Yes, they still make that stuff!)

    Gosh, I remember using that as a teen learning to cook a very long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate, there's never a bad time for baby photos. I still can't believe she's two already.

      I discovered Dream Whip when I was teen also. The cake lady in our little town, you know the one who made everyone's wedding and birthday cakes because she was so good, made the Dream Cake recipe. Go figure.

      Delete
  3. This was one of my favorite desserts as a child! Your son-in-law has good taste!

    Now I'm going to have to make it for our next carry-in dinner. And yes, I'll use Dream Whip because this dessert just wouldn't be the same without it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I would be interested to hear if you still enjoy it as much as you did when you were a kid.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Mary, there's not much to NOT like about it, is there?

      Delete
  5. Cherries, cream cheese and baby pics -- it doesn't get any better. and to think I resisted buying graham crackers at the grocery store yesterday. What was I thinking?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question, Kav. Graham crackers are always good to have on hand. As opposed to in hand. ;)

      Delete
  6. Mindy, I'm a day late. But thanks for re-sharing this! What sweet baby photos!!

    ReplyDelete