Friday, July 19, 2019

When You're Craving Something Healthy

Missy Tippens

I threw together some ingredients recently when I had a craving for something fresh and green. Do y'all ever get cravings like that? I usually get them after watching a cooking show or seeing an ad on TV for something healthy.

This time, I headed to the fridge and just started pulling things out to sauté and serve over pasta.

Ingredients I used:
Fresh corn on the cobb-- cut off the cob.
Fresh sugar snap peas--diced.
Red bell peppers (You could use jarred roasted ones or fresh ones)--diced
Fresh spinach leaves.
A can of fire roasted tomatoes
Some of the pasta water to make it all a little saucy.
And of course, the best part: parmesan cheese on top!

I started by chopping the veggies.


Then I sautéed the spinach, red bell peppers, and sugar snap peas in some olive oil. 


Then I added the corn (which doesn't have to cook as long), and the tomatoes with the juice (to make the sauce). Look at the colors! It makes me feel healthy now just looking at it. ;)


These are the tomatoes I used. They already had garlic in them which added a lot of flavor without me having to use garlic. But if you love that flavor, you could add some fresh chopped garlic in the beginning.


Here's the finished dish with some parmesan. So yummy, filling and healthy!


And just for a taste of summer in Georgia, here are some photos I took a few weeks ago. Hydrangeas -- some of my favorite flowers!



8 comments:

  1. Look at all those pretty colors, both the flowers and the food. This looks yummy, Missy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missy, I've been doing stuff like this too.... and it's such a nice and quick meal! I haven't done spinach, though, and that would be good.... but the fire roasted tomatoes are amazing, aren't they? They really add a touch to things. And the fresh snap peas.... we try to grow them and it's like CANDY to the deer..... Oh mylanta, and they are so good!
    I love this and the hydrangea is gorgeous. Mine are just beginning to bud, so we'll see how they look next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, they're like candy to me, so I can just imagine how deer must love them! I buy mine in bags at the grocery--ready to use! haha

      Delete
  3. Yummy and simple -- a great combination. And so pretty. I like pretty food. And adore simple in this wretched heat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, anything that's quick that doesn't heat up the kitchen too much is a big help in this hot summer weather!

      Delete
  4. Missy, that looks SO delicious! If I was home, and wasn't planning on a lobster roll for dinner, I'd be making that in a heartbeat. Thanks for inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh, I'll trade you some for a lobster roll! ;)

      Delete