Monday, July 1, 2019

Strawberry-Rhubarb Cobbler

Jan here with a TRUTH: There is nothing that says SUMMER like a dessert made from fresh fruit.


Ice cream is another summer favorite, but let's face it. We eat ice cream all year long. Anytime we can!

And you can make cobbler and pies and fruit crisps in the winter from fruit you stored up the summer before. That has its own enchantment - The memories of berry picking or canning the peaches. The sweet tangy fruitiness of summer sunshine caught in the peak of freshness to brighten a dark winter evening. The satisfaction of storing up the bounty for the lean times.

But there is nothing like fruit fresh from the tree, bush, or farmer's market. Juicy sweetness in the hot summer kitchen and the anticipation of that first bite... YUM!

Strawberry-Rhubarb Cobbler

ingredients:
4 cups chopped rhubarb
2 cups sliced strawberries
3/4 cup white sugar
2 Tablespoons corn starch
1 Tablespoon water

1 Tablespoon butter, cut in small pieces
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 cup flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup milk
1 egg, beaten

2 Tablespoons white sugar

Preheat the oven to 400° and prepare a 9" square baking dish. Of course, mine are packed already, so I used my 9" x 12" baking dish instead.

In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch. Stir in the fruit and water and bring to a boil, stirring often. Let it cook for one minute, then pour it into your prepared baking dish.

Dot the fruit with the 1 Tablespoon butter and sprinkle with the cinnamon.

In a small bowl, mix the milk and the egg. In a larger bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt), then cut in the 1/4 cup butter. Mix with your (clean) fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Then pour in the milk and egg mixture all at once, and stir just until the dough is moistened.

Drop the dough by spoonfuls onto the fruit mixture evenly, then sprinkle the top with the remaining 2 Tablespoons sugar.

Bake for 20 minutes at 400° or until the top is lightly browned.

Serve with ice cream, whipped cream...or if you want to be old-fashioned and decadent, just pour a bit of sweet cream (also called whipping cream or heavy cream) over your serving.

Here's the best part: Take your dish out to the porch - front, back, whatever, just so you're outside in the lingering heat of the day. Put a spoonful in your mouth and close your eyes. Can you hear the radio playing inside the house? Grandma is calling the cat in for her supper. The neighbor's screen door bangs and the neighborhood kids are play hide and seek between the houses. "Olly, olly, oxen free!"

Yes, there is nothing that says summer like a fruit dessert. What is your favorite way to eat fresh summer fruit?

Oh...by the way...Saturday was puppy choosing day! Meet Jack:


There's nothing like a tiny puppy...but now we have to wait...and wait...and wait. He's only three weeks old.





Jan Drexler spent her childhood dreaming of living in the Wild West and is now thrilled to call the Black Hills of South Dakota her home. When she isn’t writing she spends much of her time satisfying her cross-stitch addiction or hiking and enjoying the Black Hills with her husband of more than thirty-six years.

8 comments:

  1. Eeep!!! My favourite fruit combination and a puppy!!!! What a great way to start the week! Must grab some fresh strawberries and rhubarb at the market next weekend and make this!

    And Jack!!!! I'm in love. How did you pick him out? What drew you to him? And why boy versus girl? All my dogs but one have been females and that one boy-o -- phew -- what a handful! I think I'll stick with a girlie next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy your cobbler!

      Why did I choose Jack out of the four available puppies? There were some pragmatic factors (males are less expensive to neuter, his coat is smooth rather than fluffy, he's already using the puppy pad to relieve himself, he's the one the breeder said was her favorite...), but the biggest thing is that he connected with me when the other puppies didn't. He's the one that met my gaze and held it, just like in this picture.

      "Oh, hi. Who are you? I can be your friend."

      Delete
  2. This looks delicious!

    I was SO sad. I went in search of strawberries at the Farmer's Market yesterday, but there were NONE!

    I settled for a blueberry crumb tart. I have some vanilla blueberry gelato that seems just made to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so quick to respond to the cobbler, that I missed you sharing a photo of Jack. He is beyond adorable. I know it's a wait, but at least you'll be in your new home by the time you get him, right?

      Delete
    2. Now I'm hungry for blueberries!

      And yes, we'll be in our new house before we bring Jack home. Between moving and then a trip east for a family wedding a couple weeks later, we knew it wasn't a good time to get a puppy. But the breeder is more than happy to keep him a few extra weeks.

      Delete
  3. Oh, one of my favorite pie flavors! AND a new puppy!! What a double deal day! :)

    Jan, I can't wait until Jack gets to go home with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I must make this cobbler this week! And I pre-cook the strawberry/rhubarb mix, too, for pies or anything (I do the same with cherry pie filling) so they never get runny once baked... it keeps the crust so nicely!

    Jan, I miss our Thatcher like crazy, but I will love Jack and all his cute self!

    I hate when our pet time gets cut short... and then I remember that my children-time has been full of life and I realize how much I have to be grateful for...

    And I'm hoping this week to gain some control on our yard (rutted and flooded by spring rains) so that we can do our pet memorial garden... I promised little ones, but I need the right weather, and some grass/weed control.

    Life moves on.

    We move on.

    But we never forget the love we shared.

    ReplyDelete