Thursday, July 11, 2019

Quick Quesadillas

This is a go-to feast around here.

We all love quesadillas, those meat-filled, wrapped in a burrito shell warm pockets of deliciousness. These are so simple, done with leftover grilled chicken and shredded cheese, then topped with whatever you want... chopped tomato, lettuce, sour cream, salsa or taco sauce.... beans.... You just slide them open and add the toppings, then fold them closed again.

So these are the BASE for wonderful, but I love them with just a little bit of sour cream and Ortega smooth mild taco sauce because I'm a wimp.

Yes, I'll own it.

Ruthy is a weakling when it comes to spices!

But not sugar. She is not weak on the sugar front, so it's all okay.

All you need  is leftover chicken.... chopped.

Shredded cheese (I shredded mine because I didn't have a bag)

Then whatever garnishes you want: Guacamole (never on my stuff, but everyone else thinks I'm weird.... Um. Right. I am not the weird one, people!)
Sour cream
Tomatoes
Lettuce
Salsa
Nothing (for us purists)
Beans
Corn

You can garnish with anything, especially if you're doing a "taco bar" typed entree, but in farm season, these are a Pick-It-Up-and-Go kind of sandwich grab. So the no-fuss version!

Warm chicken in a covered frying pan drizzled with olive oil.



Warm burrito shells individually in another frying pan spritzed with olive oil. Warm one side, then flip to warm the other.

Add hot chicken to one-half of the burrito shell.  Top with shredded cheese. (Mozzarella, Cheddar, Colby Jack, etc. I use whatever I have on hand but sharp cheddar is our New York favorite) Fold other half of burrito shell over the meat/cheese, press down with spatula over low/medium heat until cheese melts. Slide onto plate.



DONE!

I cut them into wedges then so folks can handle them, but some folks like monster-sized and that's all right, too!

This is a great way to use leftover chicken from those grilling nights when you cook a little too much.

But you can also do this with ground beef (like taco filling) and add corn and chiles to it, then spoon that onto half the burrito, fold and done!

Steak???? Leftover steak works too!

Burrito and taco shells make short work of a quick lunch or dinner. And I never believe the Best By dates on them.... I absolutely ignore them and use them whenever and no one has died.

I'm just sayin'.....

Planting has drawn to an end.... now we're watering the mums daily (I am the "fancy" mum-watering equipment around here! So high-tech!) fertilizing, spraying for bugs (SO MANY BUGS!!! And they carry diseases from plant to plant...) weeding, hoeing....

And writing sweet books when no one is around to bug me!!!! (get it??? bug me????)

:)

Wishing you the blessings of a beautiful mid-July with these two surprises:

First, the beautiful flowers sent from Waterfall Publishing because "At Home in Wishing Bridge" is a finalist in the Maggie Award for Excellence!


And this from my oldest daughter and her wonderful family because they know that planting time is labor-intensive and stressful:

Oh, there were happy faces on this day, let me tell you!!!!!!!

Something about an Edible Arrangement in the heat of a July day just makes everything so much better!!!!!

Multi-published, award-winning author Ruth Logan Herne lives on a pumpkin farm in Western New York and she loves writing books that folks don't forget... because those are the kind of books she likes to read! You can email her at loganherne@gmail.com or visit her website ruthloganherne.com or friend her on Facebook where she loves to talk with folks from all over!

7 comments:

  1. I think you wrote this post for me, Ruthy. I have a bunch of leftover grilled chicken in the fridge, and I need a quickie dinner because I'm going to be out of the house most of the day. Perfect!! I'll just pick up some burrito tortilla thingies and some toppings while I'm out and impress my family with some leftover wizardry! I'm with you on the not-too-spicy spices, and on the whole--expiration dates are just a suggestion mindset too, btw. And--what beautiful flowers and goodies!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruthy, we love quesadillas almost as much as we love nachos. They're a perfect for leftover meat. And they're so quick and easy.

    How sweet that your publisher sent you flowers. They're beautiful. And that edible arrangement... Yum! As delicious as it is beautiful. And, like you said, perfect for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the Maggie final! (I can't say that enough!)

    Quesadillas used to be a go-to around here, too. When the children were younger (much younger) they only wanted cheese on theirs, so it was more of a glorified grilled cheese sandwich! But with this reminder, I'm going to have to make them again. I'm clearing out the fridge, and I have some tortillas that need to be used. Sounds like a win/win!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Switch out the chicken for beans or roasted tofu and I'm all in. lol Super excited about you being a Maggie finalist. That is beyond awesomesauce! Oy -- you are the official mum waterer? I will never moan again about hand watering my garden. Oy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny timing. I just had a grilled veggie quesadilla for lunch yesterday. I don't know why I don't have them more often since they include all the things I love.
    Beautiful flowers and fruit from thoughtful people to a thoughtful person! LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, Ruthy! They sound wonderful, and the fruit bouquet is to die for! What a sweet daughter!

    Thanks for the yummy post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Love both arrangements!

    I don't know how you do all that you do. I wish I had half your energy.

    ReplyDelete