Tuesday, July 30, 2019

The Ramblings of a Conference Weary Texan

Last week was Romance Writers of American annual conference, so I left my little haven in the woods and jetted off to New York City.
 Bright lights...
 Big city.
My roommate, fellow Love Inspired author, Jill Lynn, and I did a little exploring. Thank goodness we had a map.

On our first night there, several of us had a fun encounter with Tracy Morgan at Junior's Diner.
The Harlequin book signing is always a highpoint of RWA. Especially when you have Rita finalists Lenora Worth...
And cute-as-a button Susanne Dietz.
Meeting up with my Yankee-Belle/Seekerville sisters, Debby Guisti and Cate Nolan is always cause for celebration.
AND, after working together for more than a year, I finally got to meet my editor, Connolly Bottum. I absolutely adore this sweet little thing.
Yes, the Big Apple is always a fun, however I wouldn't trade the adventures waiting in my own backyard for anything.
This doe and fawn seem to have adopted our orphaned twins (note the two tails behind the doe). I love to see them come running when I toss out their corn. I can guarantee you won't see that in the big city.


Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she's not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more a mindyobenhaus.com.

12 comments:

  1. Oh wow -- I've been in such a heat stupor I totally missed that it was the conference week. Must hunt out more pics and stories on social media. Thanks for sharing, Mindy! I love conference reports. The NYC crowds would be daunting though! OY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The NYC crowds are daunting even for those of us who live here, Kav!
      I HATE Times Square.

      Delete
    2. Yes, Times Square is crazy, Kav. I cannot even imagine what's it's like on New Year's Eve, elbow to elbow with everyone.

      Delete
  2. Awesome pictures, Mindy! Sure do miss you in the Metroplex. Looking forward to the new book in a few days. Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Delores! I miss you, too. And yes, only a few more weeks before Reunited in the Rockies hits the shelves.

      Delete
  3. Your last comment made me laugh, Mindy. I'd love to see what would come running if you tossed out corn in Times Square. Then again...

    It was so much fun to visit with you, Mindy. Thanks for the recaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm SO happy those babies found a mama to adopt them.

      Delete
    2. Mary Cate, are you sure you'd want to see what came running? I mean, there's no telling.

      I so enjoyed the opportunity to just down and chat with you. We should do that more often.

      I'm really happy for those babies, too.

      Delete
  4. I love the picture of you and Debby and Cate!!!!! LOVE IT!!!!!

    And I talked about your deer pic here over on Jan's post yesterday because I just got here, so shame on me.... but how cute are those babies??? They are not cute up here. Oh, no... not when my new pumpkins and corn and beans are at stake, they are NOT CUTE.... but they're mighty cute in the picture!

    And I hope you had the best time ever in NYC! What a great experience. But there are so many people now, Mindy.... there were always a lot of people. It's NYC. But now????

    OH MYLANTA, it's crazy.

    And they think it's normal.

    It is so far from normal as to be exponentially abnormal.

    But I digress. :)

    Glad to have you home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, if those deer were tearing things up or eating my crops, I'd be upset, too. But since we're feeding them, they're adorable. Hopefully none of those fawns will grow up to be big bucks. Then again, I will never recognize them.

      NYC is definitely overwhelming. I always remember what Melissa Endlich told me the first time I was there. When walking down the street, do not make eye contact and do not engage. Challenging for a Texan, but I did my best. Not that I left the hotel much, but still.

      Delete
  5. Would you believe I have no desire to visit NYC? None. The crowds? The noise? The endless concrete? Forgedaboudit!!!

    But one of the boroughs? Yes, maybe! I love Cate's pictures of Brooklyn.

    So glad you had fun and are now enjoying your peaceful, quiet home. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, as harrowing as our taxi ride was from the airport, we went through some of the neighborhoods and I loved seeing the houses/brownstones/apartments. I enjoy seeing how folks live in other places.

      Delete